906 paso clutch slave replaced with 900ss slave

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Spondon906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

906 paso clutch slave replaced with 900ss slave

Post by Spondon906 »

Can someone tell me if this is the correct way this part should be put together? As you can see all I have done is remove the blue seal, then put the skateboard bearing (608 ZZ-SKF) inside the piston and added to the bottom the new spring what came with the new 900ss piston. Also is the other pic the mushroom?
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 7942 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 7943 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: 906 paso clutch slave replaced with 900ss slave

Post by Mc tool »

Yeeeeep , looks good to me . I made a new mushroom out of a 8mm brass bolt but if that one fits then go for it :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

you`ll have to get a new pin made as it will not fit (see P750 FAQs).
While the outer dimensions of the pistons are the same internally they look different. (see 906 FAQs). On the 906 piston the pin is also the inner race of the bearing.

Your clutch disc pack is installed incorrectly btw. The outer disc is not a double sided friction plate.
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Cheers guys, I'll whip the clutch stack out and put em back in the proper way & I'll have to search the p750 FAQ to try and understand what I have to do with the pin, I'm like a child sometimes as a simple picture is sometimes easier for me to under stand :-/
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah G is right ( as usual :) ) the mushroom I made was an 8mm dia brass bolt with a hex head and enough shank to go thru the bearing. what I did was to put the bolt in a drill and as it rotates hold a file against the head to give it a bit of a dome and round off the hex a bit ( a lathe would have been better but I don't have one ) then cut the bolt so there is about 10mm of shank left and stick it in the bearing . I centre punched the cut end of the bolt so it wouldn't come out of the bearing but seeing as you have already fitted the bearing .......probly not :) . Thinking about it you probly don't need to re shape the bolt head at all , I only did it coz it looked better ..........not like you can see it once installed tho :roll:
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Ah right, that makes more sense now.....I must say that the manual I've got for a paso is prity useless and limited, nothing like a Haynes at all and to make things worse it's in black & white copy with what seems just one short paragraph of English for each task??
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

I've got all my clutch stack out and none of them seem to have any dot marks on them at all? The steels just have a sort of half moon notch in the outta rim? All the frictions measure 3mm and all the steels measure 2mm, this doesn't match the info on the chart in this link:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/download/file.php?id=666
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

A lot of the Ducati clutches are similar , the paso is diff to the SS but its possible to fit a SS clutch pack to a Paso and it would work but ......... I think that maybe what has happened to your bike . There should be 1 friction plate that has the friction material on one side only and its this bare side of the plate that should face out on the last plate . Im guessing that G ( as did I ) saw the friction material in your pic and thought that there was a one sided plate somewhere in there in the wrong place , but if you have not got such a plate I spose it wont hurt to have the double sided plate there , but I do recall that last one sided plate was thicker than the others . Sureflex make clutch plate kits for Ducatis and there may be some info showing the correct assembly sequence for the SS and the Paso so you can see the diff . When I did my SS clutch I got the wrong clutch pack , didn't have the dished steel plate or the friction plate that fits over it , but I chucked it in there anyhow and it worked fine . The important thing is that all the plates ( in the right order ) should stack up to the correct combined thickness , If they are to thick they wont all fit properly and if they are to thin there wont be enough spring pressure to stop them from slipping . I have seen clutches ( not on a Duke ) that have so much wear on the plate they are to thin to work .... and someone has put in an extra plate to get the overall thickness of the stack back up to a workable height.... not ideal but it works ( long enough to sell it :D ). Ducati are good at superceeding parts ( see the list of part No's G has listed for your neutral switch ) as time goes on , so don't be surprised if there appear to be differences between early spec's and later ones .... or even differences between what different suppliers are quoting as they may be using old or new info from the manufacturer , or they have decided that instead of having a slightly different part for similar models that one new part can fit all models.
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Someone's been in the clutch housing before as the metal tab that holds the baskets nut on has almost got nothing to fold back against the nut :-/ on the upside tho, the basket has no marks from the friction plates. The engine that's fitted is the spare engine I bought some time ago which I've already had to change the starter motor gasket along with the alternator cover and water pump cover, I also had to buy a new "small case cover" the one were the case puller fits which I got from the states for only £25 all in, nice little billet cover.
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Mc tool wrote:Yeah G is right ( as usual :) ) the mushroom I made was an 8mm dia brass bolt with a hex head and enough shank to go thru the bearing. what I did was to put the bolt in a drill and as it rotates hold a file against the head to give it a bit of a dome and round off the hex a bit ( a lathe would have been better but I don't have one ) then cut the bolt so there is about 10mm of shank left and stick it in the bearing . I centre punched the cut end of the bolt so it wouldn't come out of the bearing but seeing as you have already fitted the bearing .......probly not :) . Thinking about it you probly don't need to re shape the bolt head at all , I only did it coz it looked better ..........not like you can see it once installed tho :roll:
I think the skf bearing needs some sort of bearing locker as its not a tight fit into the 900ss slave piston, if I turn it upside and shake it, it just falls out with no effort, there's no movement when fitted, it just isn't a tight fit?
Last edited by Spondon906 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Obviously I'll buy a brass bolt of ebay or something, I just cant see any available without the thread going the whole lengh of the bolt?

I also took the clutch stack out of my spare original engine & it was the same more or less.