best digiplex location? comments please

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Spondon906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

best digiplex location? comments please

Post by Spondon906 »

Hi all, I have to places I can put my digiplex on my bike.

Location 1: under the tank between the top of the cylinders at the back of the inlet manifolds & carbs, the digiplex is shielded from heat by quite thick heat sink, sitting on 2 dampers.

Location 2: under the rear seat area behind the battery (brown box) standing upright, the reg rec will probably be mounted on a heat sink more or less were it sits.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
Spondon906

Re: best digiplex location? comments please

Post by Spondon906 »

Does no one have a view on this topic at all? .......how sensitive to vibration is the digiplex and do you think the heat shield is good enough to deflect heat away from the cylinders?
If not then the digiplex will have to go under the rear seat, comments welcome :)
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

As with most Forums many times your thread can be lost in unread posts although 130 plus people may have read it.
I am an owner of a 907ie so maybe not best placed to help but there are a few ideas in the search section if you delve deep enough which may assist you further.

personally looking at it site 2 would be my preferred option based purely on the fact that you are less likely to have other heat issues regardless of any shielding available.

Hope this helps a little we are seeing you out there .... honest .....and if you are like my wife you'll do the opposite :thumbup:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I have found the best spot in terms of air flow is right smack dab in the tool tray just out of reach of the rear tire travel, but then you will need to keep you tool kit in your jacket( or not, need fewer tools once the lectrics are sorted out) On the back of the license plate holder looks promising as well if ya need yer tools :banghead:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I think the problem that most guys here have is that your bike is so unique and noone owns anything similar. Looking at the rear frame and exhaust you might get more feedback on a Duc 8xx or 7xx/9xx forum.
The regulator position on pic 1 is imo not good. Not only should the cooling fins be in the direction of the airflow but it should be mounted ideally where there is airflow. A good place would be somewhere below the headlight (like on the ST2) or somewhere on the side as on the 916.

The Digiplex unit doesn`t seem to be that sensitive to vibrations as the large ECU units used on the 907ie and others as with them the silent blocks were changed to a different type. (pic below)
No idea how effective the heat shield on pic two is. The rear part of it is rather high. It might protect the ECU from heat but also negatively influence the airflow it needs to cool down.

The position in the rear might be better. If the regulator is gone there should be space to mount it horizontally and away from the exhaust. How hot it gets there depends on your exhaust. Are those absorption silencers (straight through) or reflective ones. The first are the ones you can look through. These don`t get as hot as reflective silencers as the exhaust fumes exit quicker.
If those are reflective silencers and it gets too hot you could try heat reflective shield or a piece of welding blanket. However a different position with better airflow would be preferable.
Attachments
70010131a.jpg
70010131a.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Third place: is there room enough under the headlight (It's the place where later ST2 have their voltage regulator)
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Spondon906

Post by Spondon906 »

Cheers guys, that's the sort of comments I was after, so I will defo put the reg/rec up front on the bike and put the digiplex at the back of the bike.
The exhaust cans are straight though and quite short so shouldn't get as hot as reflective silencers & should be loud :) I've also cut some of the HD clutch case to let a little more noise out but I've still to get a brass throw out thing made for the slave mod with the skateboard bearing, I've got a little side tracked again.....oh and I've just had my ohlins front and rear fully refurbished, new oils & seals, bushes, rechroming done & reanodizing done and new rear Spring too yay :) then got the bill :(