Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Joakes
model: intending to buy a Paso/Sport
year: 1988

Howdy from a newbie in Aus (Melb) - Looking at a 750

Post by Joakes »

Hi all,
First time poster long time reader.
I've always been taken by the "modern" look of the Paso and have wanted one for a long time. There is one for sale in Templestowe on bikesales.com.au and I thought I would run it by people on the site first before I contacted the owner. Or perhaps the owner is a member?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/SSE ... i-750-Paso

Please take a squiz and tell me what you think. Maybe a few tips on what I should look for when I go to have a look.

Thanks
Julian
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Howdy from a newbie in Aus (Melb) - Looking at a 750

Post by randtcastell »

Ask the owner why it was repainted (crash? hidden/repaired damage?). Why does it have a seat from a 907?
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Brutus
year: 1989

Post by Brutus »

Race pipes looks nice. Seems polished as they are deep black original. Dash is different to say at least.. Looks like a bike that was loved by the owner. Be sure to check behind the fairing. If the fairing has its numbers in it, it is at least OEM parts. Look at the state of the engine. Dry, paint gone etc.
Léon

Post by Joakes »

randtcastell wrote:Why does it have a seat from a 907?
That's a good eye. I wouldn't have picked that.
Brutus wrote: Dash is different to say at least..
Léon
Wouldn't have picked that either.

Thanks for the replies. :)
Bluey
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Bluey »

it is also clearly an import (as the seller notes)... the US taillight and MPH speedo. So i'd be double checking the numbers. From the pictures the paint looks very "flat" for a pearl respray. Seems like it is missing a gloss coat but that can be hard to tell in photos online

But my biggest question is the photo that shows a yellow Paso in front of it? Which is another unusual colour. I'd want to make sure i wasn't getting the poor cousin or at least the price was fair for the poor cousin.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Looks like a fairly typical price for Aussie land. A dime a dozen here in the USA Picked my 750 up for well under a grand of course no race cans and not running but in overall good condition
Last edited by higgy on Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

that Paso has been up for sale for quite some time. The rear tire is a Pirelli MP7. They stopped making them in the mid 90s.
Fork legs and side stand seem to be bare metal and not repainted silver. The clutch lever is bent (why?). The original chainguard is missing as is the rubber grommet that holds the speedometer cable to the front fender.
Did the '88 have the chromed passenger grab handle or was that already the black one?

A while ago this file was made which might help you:
https://app.box.com/s/2fhq2uukm6t3hc14mboele7zupkdgq2e

G.
Attachments
800047225.jpg
800047225.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
Bluey
year: 1991

Post by Bluey »

paso750 wrote:that Paso has been up for sale for quite some time. The rear tire is a Pirelli MP7. They stopped making them in the mid 90s.
Fork legs and side stand seem to be bare metal and not repainted silver. The clutch lever is bent (why?). The original chainguard is missing as is the rubber grommet that holds the speedometer cable to the front fender.
Did the '88 have the chromed passenger grab handle or was that already the black one?
G.
This and Higgy's comment just echo my concern. The price is typical for a locally delivered bike in Aussie land (I know i'm here too) and we have fewer to choose from. It's just a bit of a bitza and the seller has other Paso's (so can't be that bad a person :-)) but i'd just want to check that it's not all the left over bits from making a good one or at least that i had a good idea of the condition of all sorts of things.

Of course we are talking about nearly 30 year old machinery so you have to figure on fixing stuff anyway and that's part of the fun. But it's nice to have a good idea of what you need to fix first.
Joakes

Post by Joakes »

Sanity may have prevailed. I will stick with my Vulcan until something better comes along. The trouble is they don't come up very often. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and fixing a few things but I do prefer to ride. Thanks for all your considered responses.
There is a nice 907ie in WA, but that's just a tad too far to go to test ride. :-)