Help Please Re: Starter

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
steveT2
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Help Please Re: Starter

Post by steveT2 »

A bit of a long story but ill keep it short, i have recently purchased a 750 Sport, i bought it with a duff battery so it wasn't running, new battery fitted but the following problem..

Ignition on, all good, starter turning over, finger off the start button and its still turning over :-( turn the ignition off and its still turning over!! i managed to disconnect the neg on the battery (Fortunately i didn't fasten the tank up) connected the neg again all OK (plug caps left off)but then the same again.

Any ideas with the above? maybe the starter solenoid? or? a bit puzzled when the ignition is off is still letting the starter turn?

Hope the above makes sense, a really stressful day, i was hoping to get in in for its MOTC Tomorrow.

Thanks, Steve
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Help Please Re: Starter

Post by nickta »

Hi Steve.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is short circuit when warm, or at least a little sticky in action. Once you disconnect the battery it cools down and drops out. The solenoid is connected direct to the battery, and then to the Starter motor, so it makes no difference whether the ignition is on or not, power will still go through if it is closed. Throw it away and put in a new one.

Cheers.

Nick.
steveT2
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by steveT2 »

nickta wrote:Hi Steve.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is short circuit when warm, or at least a little sticky in action. Once you disconnect the battery it cools down and drops out. The solenoid is connected direct to the battery, and then to the Starter motor, so it makes no difference whether the ignition is on or not, power will still go through if it is closed. Throw it away and put in a new one.

Cheers.

Nick.
Thanks Nick, Sorted... its the same solenoid has the 748/916 etc, As luck would have it my Son has his 748R parked in my garage ;-)

Steve
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

steveT2 wrote:
nickta wrote:Hi Steve.

Cheers.

Nick.
Thanks Nick, Sorted... its the same solenoid has the 748/916 etc, As luck would have it my Son has his 748R parked in my garage ;-)

Steve
Ha ha , so are we going to be getting a post from your son saying that his bike wont start , and where do these spare wires go ? :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Ha ha , so are we going to be getting a post from your son saying that his bike wont start , and where do these spare wires go ? :lol:

ROTF
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie