Flickering and ticking

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ianell
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Flickering and ticking

Post by ianell »

I just put a battery in my newly acquired 906. When you turn the ignition on the dash lights flicker rapidly and there's a rapid ticking nose from under the tank like a stuck pump or a relay latching and unlatching. Before I dive into it to have a look has anyone seen anything like this before?

I'm thinking it could be a blocked fuel pump/ line causing the pump to draw excessive current, or a sticky relay.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers
IanE
ianell
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Flickering and ticking

Post by ianell »

Further info; ticking seems to be normal activity of pump as it went quieter after a while. Seems like pump drawing a lot of current but there's plenty of fuel getting through. Just talked to PO - he said it needed a lot of electrical power to start it due to high state of tune. I'll try it with a starter pack on. Also might have to see if fuel filter partly blocked.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Flickering and ticking

Post by Mc tool »

More than likely you have some remedial work to do on the electrical system , they are well known for it , and I got told a similar load of crap when I bought mine , and it turned out that the PO sold it because he got sick of paying people to fix it, the silly part is that its all straight forward repair / modification. The wiring was always crap and age sure didn't help. Don't go thinking you've bought a lemon , probly only needs a few connection repaired and a main relay fitted , no big deal . I met the PO of my Paso at a rally and he was well pissed when he found I had fixed all the reasons he sold it....... he was a sawn off little smartarse came over to gloat about how he got rid and started listing the faults and one by one I was able to demonstrate that they were all fixed, a good day ...... and the silly git had bought a ST2 and couldn't reach the ground properly ..... and I didn't stand there and laugh at him :roll: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time