90 900 Supersport Tidy-up

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: 90 900 Supersport Tidy-up

Post by higgy »

I put LED bulbs in the 907 with a shindengen regulator and all is well. everywhere except the headlights
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
The Paua Poacher
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

Post by The Paua Poacher »

Been a while ... have been working on it but in between the Marlin season & Venison ...... have both in the freezer so the family are at least fed for winter

Was originally my intention to build the engine but as my first Ducati in to the 'Proffesionals' ... that & I simply didnt have the tooling required for a major ... more on rebuild later

That said when I picked up the engine the mechanic advised I was missing a swinger bearing (I supplied 3x) which simply wasnt the case as when I supplied the parts manual with a checklist of supplied parts I only ticked off after triple checking they were there ...

The only reason I bother with that story was when I went to fit the missing bearing & seal the thing kept creaping in to the case & it was at that point I noticed the internal retainer wasnt there for the inside bearing to seat on ... that wasnt GOOD!

Insult to injury I then had to replace both bearings & seals after fitting a new internal circlip
Attachments
New bearings & Seals ready for instal.JPG
New bearings & Seals ready for instal.JPG (45.16 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Torqued Swinger.JPG
Torqued Swinger.JPG (35.36 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Swinger is Oooon.JPG
Swinger is Oooon.JPG (35.8 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
The Paua Poacher

The Hugger needed attention as havent found a replacement ... yup I dont recon. they are ugly & kind of suit the square tail section of the 89/90

Damage occurred when 2x owners ago had the mishap with a truck trailer ... where the hot pipe melted a bit of the plastic

Trimmed, sanded through a few grades & plastic reviver made OK
Attachments
Damage Hugger.JPG
Damage Hugger.JPG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Off with Multi Tool.JPG
Off with Multi Tool.JPG (34.7 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Installed Hugger.JPG
Installed Hugger.JPG (33.36 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Last edited by The Paua Poacher on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Paua Poacher

Finally get the exhaust on with those shiny headers

I removed the silencers & popped in perforated straight through & packed with wool ... hope that doesnt sound to raspy (haven't attached photos of that exercise as done to death on the site already)

I did notice when I fitted the mufflers to the headers it doesn't slip on snug .... I may need to get some liquid gasket in there to seal but will work that out when/if I get this thing going
Attachments
headers on.JPG
headers on.JPG (38.07 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
On with Exhaust.JPG
On with Exhaust.JPG (33.79 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Exhaust syste on.JPG
Exhaust syste on.JPG (37.7 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Last edited by The Paua Poacher on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Paua Poacher

I havent fitted the the front sprocket yet as that was the last seal I needed to complete the engine

But I did install the right hand peg assembly .... there is also a case saver under that guard!
Attachments
Right Peg fitted.JPG
Right Peg fitted.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
The Paua Poacher

Back to Fueling

I wanted to place a Regulator into the line & was going to mount a gauge showing current/real time PSI ... but wasn't practical to mount anywhere I could view the gauge & wasn't really needed so on the basis I might be able to still sneak in a battery I made a mount under the front tank silent blocks (the silent blocks I found had longer threads on them so that doubled as a mount for the the regulator)

On the return to the tank a #40 jet was sweated in so pressure is good through high flow situations (no doubt someone will probably tell me now not small enough)

Also had to reroute the fuel line the long way around ... I couldn't find any thread that had tried / or done this particular way so again bet someone will correct me on this path ... i.e. will this work?
Attachments
Fuel Return with #40 jet sweated in.JPG
Fuel Return with #40 jet sweated in.JPG (44.21 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
3PSI with Fuel line rerouted & fitted.JPG
3PSI with Fuel line rerouted & fitted.JPG (42.07 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Completed Fuel.JPG
Completed Fuel.JPG (48.41 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
The Paua Poacher

The mudguard on after chasing the threads

Front wheel goes on & the brakes bled (that was easier than I thought it would be as would have thought more air locks than turned out)

The Clutch is proving a sh!t even with a suction pump ... just cant get any pressure at all
Attachments
Cleaning for instal.JPG
Cleaning for instal.JPG (25.79 KiB) Viewed 7306 times
Guard on.JPG
Guard on.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 7306 times
Both On.JPG
Both On.JPG (37.69 KiB) Viewed 7306 times
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Looking good, you're on the home stretch now.

Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
The Paua Poacher

The wiring loom ...... mmmmm

To complicate a messy Loom where it was converted to Kokusan Sparkers but all else seems original ... mixed in with me using Ignitech, New coils & Motoelectric Starters, etc, etc is going to make that Home Stretch .... stretch out

thanks though ... happy with outcome so far
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1989

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Yeah your bike is coming together really sweet , your'e inspiring me as my resto is really testing me, the 89 ss is a tricky beast to find some parts and info on,my engines in swingarms on with new needlerollers, triples were on but my repainted triples were chipping and so off and new bearing off and looking for a good powdercoater in perth for those and footpegs etc , the guys did my wheels and frame too aggressive on blast and now im sleeving rims for new bearings, my fault after 4 restos should have been more onto that, m1bb's are rebuilt, got a long way to go but definately inspiring to see your bike moving forward, cheers Rob. ps having trouble posting photos, will do when i can