907 crazy turn signals?

discussions specific to the 907IE
moto949
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

907 crazy turn signals?

Post by moto949 »

Hi. My terrific '93 907 that I recently bought (9k miles total) came with the euro rear turn signal conversion, and it unfortunately also came with a strange quirk of flashing the turn signals (including the fronts) at twice or more the rate of normal, almost looking like they're 'flickering' rather than 'blinking'.
But I would settle for that now...
When trying to diagnose the problem, I removed the right rear bulb to confirm it was a stock spec bulb - it was. But then I noticed an extra tab coming off the far-right-little-bulb-wire-plug, and this tab was making contact with the base of the bulb. It wasn't set up like that on the opposite, left rear signal side, so I temporarily bent it away. This didn't fix anything so I bent the tab back to where it was.
But now something's really wrong. Now when I hit the right turn signal switch, all I get is the right front (only) signal still flickering a 2x speed, but no no rear signal at all. Worse, when I hit the left signal, it gets weird; neither left side signal flashes at all, but blinking at a normal turn signal speed are the brake light(!) and all the dash warning lights(!) as well as the dash illumination lights(!) - those go from full bright to full dark. Oh, and the headlight strangely flashes from dim to bright at normal turn signal speed, too, whether the beam switch is on high or low.
Anyway, the battery is fully charged and this stuff occurs whether this great running bike is on, or if it's off with just the key on.
And for what it's worth, when the turn signals are not being used, the brake light works normally, as does the headlight's high and low beams (though the hi-beam dash light has been stuck on since I got the bike).
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
nickta
year: 1992

Re: 907 crazy turn signals?

Post by nickta »

Sounds like a dodgy earth going on there somewhere. Or possibly a short going on in the wiring loom. I haven't had it on the 907, but there is a post here somewhere about over tight cable ties breaking insulation and all weird sorts of things happening after that. You say the high beam idiot light is on all the time. Did this happen after you put in the LED's, or was it that way with the old globes too? Is the flasher can an original or an after market? The originals use a slightly different connection in the socket compared to an after market. Well, I should say it was that way on my 907.

Could you post a picture of the extra tab on the Euro light?

Cheers.

Nick.
moto949

Post by moto949 »

Hi nickta. Thanks for your comments.
My camera/smart phone is kaput now but i'll try to get a photo up by the weekend. Yes, the hi-beam light was stuck on when I got the bike, before I changed to LEDs and no other symptoms changed after the LEDs were installed either.
I'll check all the grounds next chance i get. I recall the battery ground wire sharing a bolt with 2 other wires. Is that standard?
BTW I believe the flasher is stock, but I think replacing it should be a cheap and easy thing to try; what is the best replacement and where can I order one?
Thanks again!
nickta

Post by nickta »

The main earth off the battery goes down to a stud below the battery box. Can't remember if it is on the frame or the engine casing? There is also an earth on the frame under the fuel tank up near the steering head. There may be others!?

Good luck finding an original flasher can! I found a couple in Perth a couple of years ago, but haven't seen one since. If you update the indicator globes to LED you will need to update the flasher can to one that suits the LED's.

It sounds a bit odd the idiot light is on? Without the schematic in front of me, I would say the idiot light gets power from the same spot as the high beam globe, most likely the switch. Is the light On/Off a switch or is it hard wired like Oz?

Cheers.

Nick.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

The main earth goes to the stud on the frame below the front of the battery box then from there to the bolt on the engine case at the rear of the clutch housing.
The main beam idiot light is simply Teed into the feed from the dip switch to the main beam so if it is on all the time that would suggest that the high beam is also on all the time, or else the wires are crossed somewhere.
The RH blinking at twice speed is what I'd expect if one of the bulbs was blown or disconnected. Is the rear bulb OK? Is it getting power? With the flasher switch set to the right you should be able to get continuity from the flasher unit green wire (goes to blue/black in the loom) all the way to the white/black wire at the rear LH flasher bulb socket.
When I got my 907 the headlamp, and all the other lights flicked in time with the indicators. It turned out to be a poor contact inside the ignition switch causing a voltage drop as the current increased. The voltage was dropping in time with the indicators causing all the other lights to flicker in time. This could be more marked in a dash with LEDs fitted.
There is a wiring mod using a relay to take the load of the ignition switch in the FAQ. http://ducatipaso.org/docs/907i.e./907i ... %20mod.zip
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
moto949

Post by moto949 »

Hi Nickta, no, USA models like mine don't have a headlight on/off switch, only hi/lo.
And I don't see my swapping to LEDs on the turn signals any time soon, especially if it may complicate any more electrical issues, but I appreciate the insight.
Thanks for coming in on this, too, Derek.
The hi/lo functions perfectly despite the dash light always being lit. And no, none of these issues have changed since adding the brighter LEDs.
All signals, left side or right, simply flashed at 2x speed when I got the bike - all bulbs worked fine.
After I bent that right rear turn signal bulb socket tab away, then back again, I swapped rear bulbs side to side but nothing improved. Unfortunately I won't have access to my bike to test circuits till the weekend. I find your experience with the contact inside your switch very interesting. Looks like I'll be taking a look inside that.
Thanks guys!
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

Ignoring the issue about the tab inside the rear light, if all the bulbs were working but flashed at twice speed, either the flasher relay is faulty or the bulbs aren't drawing enough current. Are the correct bulbs fitted front and rear? The owners manual states 10W but they are in fact 21W.
This is a picture of the indicator socket inside the Euro tail lamp, in this case the RH one. The tab makes the +ve connection to the base of the bulb. If the tab isn't touching then the bulb isn't connected and won't work.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

had you swapped the turn signal indicator lights in the dashboard with LEDs?
900streetfighter

Post by 900streetfighter »

Theres fllasher relays on ebay with adjustable flash rate for about £3 from china. It goes from flash per sec to strobe.I have one on my SSie with aftermarket indicators and its working fine but I've only had it a month. The 2 outer spade connectors were wrong way round so I had to make a sub loom reversing them to get it to work.
moto949

Post by moto949 »

Hi Paso 750,
Yes I swapped all the dash bulbs for LEDs but it didn't seem to affect anything (except I can actually see them in daylight).
Hi Derek,
Yes that lower tab n your photo touches just like mine, but the second tab, the upper one in the photo that's more sharply bent, was different on mine when I got it - it too was touching the base of the (RH side only) bulb. When I first pulled off the opaque tail lens to see this, at least the turn signals worked, albeit too fast. I bent it away, checked it, then bent it back, and my signals have been screwed up since. I've tried this bent tab back and forth a couple times and no change. I'm wondering if in doing this I may have caused a short in the switch, similar, but not exactly, like the issue you had. I hope to dig into the switch this weekend.
Also, I'm thinking I may, for the moment, rule out the flasher unit as the problem source because when I flip on the left signal, all those lights (brake lights, dash lights, headlight...but not the left signals) flash at the normal flash rate - it's like the flasher is at least capable of flashing normally if the signal to it is correct.
BTW my manual states 21 watt bulbs and the bulbs all checked out okay.
Hi 900streetfighter,
Thanks for the tip. I do wish new stock flashers were available. I don't like the idea of getting a new part that I have to experiment with to have it work.
Thanks everyone. I'll give updates as I try new solutions.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Derek »

Try removing the flasher unit from the equation by bypassing, bridging the red and green wires together. Then when you select either side the lamps should light without flashing. This should enable you to check continuity to both lamps.
Check the grounds too. The tab you bent back is the ground to the the bulb.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic

Scotland