discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

paisano
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

blinkers stopped working

Post by paisano »

Hey all! - a quick question:
all 4 of my blinkers and dash indicators stopped working suddenly. The flasher unit makes a noise when both left, right and cancel are activated from the switch. ground is good and there is 12 volts to at least one of the pins on the flasher. Am I looking for a short somewhere, or is there something simpler?

Thanks, Paisano
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: blinkers stopped working

Post by paso750 »

did you do anything on the bike since the last time everything worked normally (like dis- and reconnecting the flasher relay)?
paisano

Post by paisano »

well, I just changed the chain - maybe that did it!

after looking at the schematics of the internals of the flasher, I'm thinking the capacitor is shorted. I've ordered a univesal replacement and will see how that goes - thanks!
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Capacitor? I've never seen a flasher unit with a capacitor in it. Usually just a wire wound round a bi-metallic strip which opens and closes a set of points to turn the flashers on and off. Maybe your's is an electronic one.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Some trouble with ground wires.
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
paisano

Post by paisano »

Derek wrote:Capacitor? I've never seen a flasher unit with a capacitor in it. Usually just a wire wound round a bi-metallic strip which opens and closes a set of points to turn the flashers on and off. Maybe your's is an electronic one.
ehhh, I almost never know what I'm talking about...

installed this:

HELLA H42750001 12V 3-Pin Flasher

direct replacement for the sipea? unit that was in my bike. Works perfecty, $17 US from amazon, but won't change flash rate if a bulb burns out.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Capacitors are common as in blinker flasher units , the charge rate / capacity of the capacitor is what governs the flash rate .... same deal as the intermittent wiper on your car ,in which either a variable cap or resistor is varied to increase or decrease the wiper rate . They are not ( normally ) load dependant so if you wanted to vary the blinker rate you could fit a solid state flasher unit to your blinkers . I think someone has recently mentioned this in a related thread
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

They are not ( normally ) load dependant so if you wanted to vary the blinker rate you could fit a solid state flasher unit to your blinkers

electronic flashers are load dependent in the effect that all four bulbs must have the same load. In plain English you can not mix and match the bulbs. You must have the same bulbs within the circuit at all four load paths. Depending on the design of the flasher you "may" get away with two different loads(bulbs) on the same side of the circuit
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

:lol: :lol: Now how did I know you would pipe up and tell me Im wrong :lol: :lol: . I meant ( ass covering here ) the wiper timer units , the retro fit ones , mine has a timing circuit and a power transistor thingy
:D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Mc tool wrote:Capacitors are common as in blinker flasher units , the charge rate / capacity of the capacitor is what governs the flash rate .... same deal as the intermittent wiper on your car ,in which either a variable cap or resistor is varied to increase or decrease the wiper rate . They are not ( normally ) load dependant so if you wanted to vary the blinker rate you could fit a solid state flasher unit to your blinkers . I think someone has recently mentioned this in a related thread
Most of the blinker units the I've ever opened up were the cheap and cheerful 2 pin sort, as fitted to early V-twin Ducatis. All they had in them was a set of points controlled by a bi-metallic strip.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland