Thermostat repair

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Thermostat repair

Post by Kmamac »

I thought I would share this repair as some may find it useful. The first photo shows the state of the thermostat on the paso I am currently reinstating. As you can see the steel ring has corroded and allowed fluid to leak. I did pick up a second hand aprillia thermostat and planed to mess around with the pipes to make it fit but when I noticed the steel ring was starting to corrode and I figured soon enough this would also fail. I have a lathe so decided to make a ring to replace the old one. See photo for dimensions if you have a lathe or a friend that does. Note the dimension x is not important - a few mill is good. I then sealed the gap between the two halves of plastic with high temperature auto motive silicone sealant. ( I used the expensive German brand - beginging with W I think?)
I then carefully peaned the edges down with a small hammer ( also filled the void with sealant).
Finally I clamped the ring in the vice going around progressively clamping the whole thing together. I have only had it running for about ten minutes in the garage but so far it's working OK. I will report back later after I have used it in anger for a bit longer. Now back to getting her running as after 5 minutes of clean running she is spluttering! One step forwards two steps back.
Hope this helps and keeps a few more running!
Keith mm in SE London village.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Thermostat repair

Post by paso750 »

Please let us know if the fix works and I will add it to the FAQs.
It`s a bit sad that helpful posts like this remain unanswered. I appeciate it a lot and would wish there would be more posts like this.
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Thermostat repair

Post by Kmamac »

Hi
Thanks for your comments. It's working so far! The paso has not left the bench but I have been messing around trying to get the dellorto/pump/regulator set up fully functional. It's been up to temperature (fan on) and cooled down about a dozen times so far. Of course the real test is on the road. This I will report back later. I'm pretty confident it will hold as the original holding method for the two halves is a crimped ring and I have just repeated this but with additional appropriate sealant. If I had time and the inclination I could make a crimping tool to pull the ring down- but I don't!
Hopefully I will get the bloody Weber to work- failing that I have a pair of very worn dellorto 40mm carbs that might get thrown at her!
Regards
Keith MM