750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by Andrew2 »

Congratulations James and mum :thumbup: .
I took less photos than I thought due to talking to mates all day.In fact it seemed that I spent $25 admission just to catch up with them.I think there was some racing on too :lol: .

A couple of nice TT's

This hadn't turned a wheel since being built.

Fuel injected 900SS motor in this beauty

For sale

I used to lust after one of these. Pity it's the wrong brand of motor though.

Turbo CBX 1000

Now this one caught my eye

The more you look,the more you find.

And just in case you missed something.

Cheers
A2
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Hey Andrew was great to catch up, good day all over I thought.

Ended up helping out with these 3 bikes much more than I expected for most of the day, strange even bought my own ticket this year so I could watch the racing instead of doing pit work, but Muz had me under the FZR within 10 mins of arriving and working on it :lol: then decided if I've gotten grubby already may as well help Steve out a bit with the 2 Suzuki's as well, sad really but all good fun.

The joys of being a pit bitch...

I think the funniest thing was sharing the garage with an Isle of Man winner, and getting the FZR's tank signed by him :choo: .

And only took us 3 years to meet finally, can't rush these things you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by bmw851 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Have since found out that this "replica" is soon to be raced :choo:

Cheers
A2
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Hey Pete,
it was great to catch up but you were the cleanest looking pit bitch I've ever seen :lol:. I was thinking of going to the Broadford Bike Bonanza on the long weekend but think I may have left it a bit late. That's sad eh.I remember when I was a young fella just jumping on the bike and going on the spur of the moment :,( .Where did those days go :dunno: .

Cheers
A2
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

On another note I replaced the timing belts,oil and filter, steering head bearings and fluids on the 750SS.

I don't think the previous owner had changed the clutch fluid in a while :dunno:

So how do you guys hold the front end off the ground when doing work on the front end. There's got to be an easier way than hanging it off the roof like I did.
Next job is the fork seals and new brake pads as they were contaminated by the fork oil.Is there any way to rejuvenate the brake pads.They're almost new by the looks of them but full of oil.

Cheers
A2
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Hey Andrew,

Should have come back an hour later, when the coffee had been spilled everywhere and over everything by then not so clean then :lol:

They are some great pictures you've posted.

As for front end, I use to do the dodgy car jack and lump of timber under the front head if the full Sport fairing was on, talk about not safe working conditions, if the fairing was off had a Anderson Head Lift Stand that would just fit in with the centre lower fairing bracket removed.

With the old school SS fairing fitted no such problems.

The Anderson head stand won't work/lift the Tuono either, so reckon the Sky Hook your using is a sensible solution.

Your welcome to borrow the Anderson if you want, long drive for it though :lol:

And that clutch fluid is disgusting, ew...

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thought about the head lift stand but still won't work when removing adjusting steering head bearings. Looks like i had better find a safer sky hook solution. The damn bike fell on me when I was releasing it from the straps. Better it fall on me than the concrete floor I suppose :dunno: :lol: .

cheers
A2
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Bugger, not hurt to bad I hope :shock:

Have seen this style of thing used in bike shops when doing quick front wheel removal for tyre changes, not this one pictured, but a cheap engine lifter.

Then a bar through the frame onto prop stands maybe?

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
w1204b.jpg
w1204b.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 10677 times

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Nah,it happened before the BSFS. Just some bruising on my shoulder.Nothing a Ducati owner couldn't handle....well us older Ducati owners anyway.These new blokes with their lightweight 1538's or whatever they are now might have struggled :lol: :lol: ...maybe even spilled their latte's :dunno: .

I stuck the GOPro on the front of the bike today and shot about 2 hours worth of video. Boy doesn't it look like you're going slow when you play it back. I swear I was giving it the berries but it looks like I was out for a leisurely Sunday cruise :huh:
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Hi guys,
thought I would drop in and say I'm still around and still have the Sport. I haven't ridden it yet and am waiting for it to be registered on classic rego in just over 12 months time. I did have an issue with the tank imploding ( strange but true ) when I stupidly ran a tube between the fuel line and the breather for storage. The cold weather caused the tank to suck in so now looking for a new tank.

Cheers
Andrew
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

You can try some compressed air to pop out the tank. May work. Otherwise, search e-bay. Just did a quick search, and there is one in Lithuania for $500.

Remember to search 900SS, as the last year of the Sport is a 900SS. I found one of those tanks several years ago that was new, and in the box. There may have been some warranty issues on the tank I think since the 900ss tank I have has quite a bit more bracing on the bottom of the tank than the 750 tanks that I have. It also has a bit different stub outs as I remember, but fits the frame just fine. But it is a different shade than the 750, so you will have the decision of which to paint, the tank or fairing. (If you find one)

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote:You can try some compressed air to pop out the tank. May work. Otherwise, search e-bay. Just did a quick search, and there is one in Lithuania for $500.

Remember to search 900SS, as the last year of the Sport is a 900SS. I found one of those tanks several years ago that was new, and in the box. There may have been some warranty issues on the tank I think since the 900ss tank I have has quite a bit more bracing on the bottom of the tank than the 750 tanks that I have. It also has a bit different stub outs as I remember, but fits the frame just fine. But it is a different shade than the 750, so you will have the decision of which to paint, the tank or fairing. (If you find one)

Cheers, Phil
Thanks Phil. I have already tried using air but it didn't work. The tank is petty thin especially on the top and I didn't want to push it to much. I saw the one in Lithuania but decided against it. Mine would be cheaper to repair.

Cheers
Andrew
Vincent1
year: 1989

Post by Vincent1 »

Great to see another 750 Sport.
Have owned mine since 1998 when it was 10yr old.
Looking for Marzocchi M1BB 40mm bushes. Seals are easy... bushes are an oddment. Produced for 2yrs only. Good luck and looking forward to updates.
dkd

Post by dkd »

Hi Andrew,

Not sure who you going use to fix your tank but there is a guy here in Adelaide who is bloody good. I had him take dents out of Cagiva tank and did not think he could do it, amazing as is his paintwork.

Has now done several tanks for me and even to the point of painting the decals on.

Can send you details if you wish. And yes Peter (bmw), have got Ducati back from son but weather has been so crappy over winter and spring. Son waiting until another one of my bikes is done and he wants to "borrow" that.

David
"Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement".
Simon Bolivar
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Hey David, at least it's being ridden, which is much better than sitting in my shed being stared at, though mind you it is a good one to just ogle.

So he still hasn't been booked by the local coppers for excessive noise yet then... :fart: