discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

anodizing footpegs & brackets?

Post by paso750 »

did someone do that and can show the result. Apparently some shops say that anodizing these cast parts would not have a good result.

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: anodizing footpegs & brackets?

Post by Mc tool »

A bead blast and a clear coat brings em up a treat , if NASA knew about this there would have been a pair on the shuttle :D
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Bluey
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Bluey »

paso750 wrote:Apparently some shops say that anodizing these cast parts would not have a good result.

G.

Really? You need a nice clean and smooth surface to get a good effect but as long as the surface is pretty clear it should be fine. Any small ridges get "more" or "less" annodized (it's a surface area exposure thing) so it's hard to get the colour consistent unless you do the prep work. I used to own a fairly high end bicycle shop and we routinely sent all sorts of bits from push bikes to the annodizer for custom builds.

Thinking through the things we used to do (and believe me a person spending over $10K on a pushbike is mighty fussy) included hand sanding down the casting marks and a consistent all over polish - not trying to make it shiny, just consistent. A bead blast might be all you need on the bracket...

Obviously the bigger the piece the more obvious it is that you didn't do all the prep work.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

+1 gotta do the prep
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

prep work is definitely the most important thing. I had several parts anodized in the past so it`s not new to me. Most were machined parts and hence no problem. All were sanded and polished to high gloss before anodizing to give a nice deep shine. Then I had a set of cast carb manifolds which were beadblasted only. I wanted to have them anodized black and the result was pure charcoal. An absolut dry flat black. Polishing them too might have done the trick but I`m not sure. Many parts react a bit different to anodizing which can lead to a different colour tone or even spots. That`s why I would actually like to see some that were restored.
Frank.61
year: 1989

Post by Frank.61 »

The problem is that if the alumnium alloy contains silicon (Si), this silicon will not oxidize but instead become coal black.
Most alloys used for casting do use silicon.
my problem is that I do not know the composition/alloy of the alumnium used for the pegs, swingarm (multiple), handlebars and triple clamp nor do I know how to find (non distructive) out IF parts contain silicon.
Also the acid used for the anodization process has a distinct influence on the discoloring of the anodising layer.

If your anodidising company is prepared playing with the composition of the acid bad you have a chance to get it right (after all: these parts were anodized), but I haven't found one.

Would love to find a company who could anodise these parts again (clear that is), maybe someone in the UK?

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Anodizing cast parts works just fine, but the appearance is difficult to predict and may be splotchy, especially if dark colors are chosen. Tumbling or bead blasting will improve the consistency of the appearance. Acid etch will also help. Matte finish is generally better than attempting a shiny surface.

I have had to coach several clients that have ordered anodized die cast parts about appearance. Rarely does that talk end up well.

Lowered expectations reduces disappointment.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Frank.61
year: 1989

Post by Frank.61 »

Hi Phil,

You seem to have more experience then I, how did our parts on the Paso got that shiny look? :?:

The company which I showed the swingarm told me that some parts of the swingarm were most likely anodized (before welding) and some were not (cast parts)?!

I got them bead blasted and later ballpolished so they were pretty shiny, after that I painted them with a 2K clear coat but that's nowhere near as strong/robust as the anodisation layer. :(

Did read something about Exo-armour (2K), but seems to me to be not stronger then the 2K clear coat I used on the swingarm.
on the pegs, triple clamp etc. I used the clear powdercoat, but still believe that that is not 100% moisture proof (like coated rims: if moisture comes under the clear ....). :dunno:
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

The stock parts were anodized, and had a silver colorant added most likely, and a clear sealer coat. Silver/aluminum colored parts should work just fine. Surely the stock finish of the Paso parts would not pass inspection for Apple these days, or companies like MV Agusta. The swingarm has cast and extruded parts, and were welded together before anodizing. Can't weld parts after anodize.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.