New tank!

discussions specific to the 907IE
arp489j
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

New tank!

Post by arp489j »

So, it turns out that my recently purchased 2,000 miles only 907ie might need some serious money throwing at it thanks to long term storage in salty air. A small paint blister at the back of the fuel tank turned out to be a hole. Looking inside it is full of rust and obviously scrap.

So, looking for a good replacement fuel tank if anybody knows of one please?
RB

1980 LAVERDA JOTA
1982 HESKETH V1000
1985 LAVERDA SFC 1000
1993 DUCATI 907IE sold May 2017
1993 DUCATI 907IE sold September 2017
1995 TRIUMPH DAYTONA SUPER III
krisstek
year: 1992

Re: New tank!

Post by krisstek »

I have one red,good condition
If you like some pictures send me a mail
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

have you tried that shop in France
http://italbikeshop.fr/pieces/2115/All/1970
or Rudy?
arp489j

Post by arp489j »

Tried the shop in France but no reply yet, even though they do show a tank in stock...

Got a tank from Rudy but damaged in transit. The front OS corner was bent and successfully straightened again but now we found that the whole top of the tank was compressed onto the internal vent and badly rippled. It is sort of repairable with lots of filler but not ideal for a 2,000 mile bike that I was hoping to get back to "as new" condition. I also bought a black tank on eBay but that was also destroyed in transit and rotten inside. It is now on the scrap heap alongside the rotten tank that came on the bike. If the shop in France does have a good one then that will be my third and probably final attempt!

However, the heavily corroded front fork stanchions were brought back to new condition by Dynasurf so they are rebuilt and I am happy about that. Well recommended company.

Have finished purchasing all the new tank internals (everything was heavily corroded or destroyed by bad fuel) which were not easy to find so if I can just get a new or as-new tank then I shall be well on my way to getting this bike back on the road. And as good as new????

I have certainly learnt my lesson about buying an ultra low mileage bike though. It was badly stored in the wrong atmosphere and has cost me a fortune to replace all the corroded fasters, Brembo parts etc. etc. etc. I have resisted the temptation to fit stainless fasteners and instead stuck to all new original cad plated items for originality, heavily coated in AC50 with TefGel on all threads, apart from the correct low head socket cap HT disc rotor bolts which are threadlocked.

The best thing to do with these bikes is to use them, not store them, and I really want to get out on it this year!
RB

1980 LAVERDA JOTA
1982 HESKETH V1000
1985 LAVERDA SFC 1000
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hopefully you could get some refund from the shipping company. Afterall I`m sure there was insurance on it.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

It wont be cheap but I would phone every Ducati dealer you can that' s been around since the early noughties as you might just get lucky with that tank you seek, had I realised that you were looking at an as new resto' I would of suggested this in the first place. Speak to the parts person and beg them to seek one out as they honestly don't know what they have sometimes due to obsolete part number changes etc. I was just handed some bagged black panel fasteners that had lain there for 20 years.I had previously in the past also got a genuine set of original indicators stupidly cheap and a full new side panel likewise. I often pop in for some hidden search gems and the beauty of it is that they are sold at the last known stock price or less. There might be a tank sitting on a shelf somewhere ???
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
arp489j

Post by arp489j »

Good plan. Thanks! I will start with 3X who supplied both my 907's new, and the SFC, and the Super III come to think of it. I think they offloaded all there Ducati stuff long ago but worth a phone call...
RB

1980 LAVERDA JOTA
1982 HESKETH V1000
1985 LAVERDA SFC 1000
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

There is also a guy in Oz that had a heap of Paso parts , Ian Gowanloch https://ducati-gowanloch.com , he may be worth a try , and there is a guy here in NZ Andy Crighton www.ducatispares.co.nz/ who I know has wreaked a couple of Paso's :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Bluey
year: 1991

Post by Bluey »

Mc tool wrote:There is also a guy in Oz that had a heap of Paso parts , Ian Gowanloch https://ducati-gowanloch.com , he may be worth a try , and there is a guy here in NZ Andy Crighton http://www.ducatispares.co.nz/ who I know has wreaked a couple of Paso's :)
Well strictly https://ducati-gowanloch.com/ is owned by Mike Sonderland (who is also a nice guy and used to work for Ian back in the day) and was a fairly successful ducati racer here in ozzie land until had had a bad crash... Mike does have quite a few Paso bits, some NOS fairing panels and also some front fairing / headlight sub frames that i recall on my last visit.

Ian Gowanloch also has quite a few NOS items and sells them on Ebay when he gets around to it.... http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/italsparesducati I've seen him have NOS instruments (i bought one of him), NOS heads, barrels, cranks etc and all sorts of other parts. It depends on what he finds when he goes out to his shipping containers and when he needs some cash i suspect (he is semi-retired). But you can contact him via ebay and ask...