Clutch Leak??

discussions specific to the 907IE
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Clutch Leak??

Post by englishstiv »

Any chance you could post a photo of your slave cylinder on here. These are some of my slave cylinder which was fitted to the bike from new although this was replaced like for like about 5 years ago. As you can see it is not the same as yours apparently as I never had that outer accordion seal you speak of.

Which may answer your question though as mine does not suffer from it's absence either.

There are no seals that attach to the clutch rod and I cannot see how the accordion seal will fit either as this slave cylinder is a close fit on the outer casing.

I asked at my local Ducati Dealer for the seal kit for the 907ie and the kit I received was as fitted so I assumed this was a standard fitting.
Attachments
DSCN0109_zpszgo3koee.jpg
DSCN0109_zpszgo3koee.jpg (231.96 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
DSCN0111_zpslvtkc1h7.jpg
DSCN0111_zpslvtkc1h7.jpg (217.02 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
DSCN0111_zpslvtkc1h7.jpg
DSCN0111_zpslvtkc1h7.jpg (217.02 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
paulmozzi
year: 1993

Post by paulmozzi »

I will take some pictures this weekend. Mine looks like your pictures. The accordion seal sits between the slave cylinder and the block. The seals I am talking about are on the clutch rod, when you pull the rod out, there are two small seals, I am not sure if these are the seals that need to be replaced. Thank you for the pictures! I will post mine this coming weekend.
Warm regards,
Paul :beer:
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

One other question, what is the best way to take the slave cylinder apart? I tried to take the piston out of the housing, but I had no luck.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

I removed the outer feed hose and used the hole for the bango bolt to gently push the seal out.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Hi guys, I bought an Oberon slave cylinder kit, since it was going to take several weeks to get my replacement seals. The problem I am having with the Oberon, is there is no bleeder on the new slave cylinder. I know there is a Clutch Slave Cylinder Banjo Bolt with Bleeder Valve that you can use. But, I am having trouble finding a part # and vendor to purchase from. Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to bleed the clutch using the banjo bolt at the master cylinder, because I know it will make a mess! Thank you for the help. Have a good weekend!
Warm regards,
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

DUCATI 907ie 1992
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you my friend! This will be a huge help to get my old girl back on the road.
Warm regards,
Paul
angelix
year: 1990

Post by angelix »

one option is to beel the cisrcyut through the banjo on the "slave"

it acytually works well , then when finished just wash the area with water, the hydraulic fluid clings to it and it is washed away.

The alternative is to get a banjo with the bleeder, I am sure on Ebay there are many selling them and is always worth keeping one in "stock"
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Good morning guys, I need your help again! I have tried bleeding the clutch until there are no air bubbles, but I still have no pressure in the clutch lever. When I pull the lever in to bleed, I have fluid coming out of the slave cylinder bleeder. I am guessing if my master cylinder was bad, I would not be getting fluid from the slave cylinder. Any thoughts on this? Thank you for the help. Have a nice weekend!
Regards,
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Paul.

The best way I have found to get the clutch working is to bleed it backwards. Pretty much get a big syringe (20ml or bigger), a short length of clear hose, fill it up with fluid and connect it all to the bleeder. Open it up, push in the plunger until fluid comes out into the reservoir and nip off the bleeder again. It gets all the air out, assuming you have got most of the air out of the syringe/hose first.

Cheers.

Nick.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

I use a 2 meter length of 6mm clear rubber/plastic hose fill the reservoir with fluid and the sit on the bike and suck the fluid through, obviously from the slave cylinder nipple end. Filling as I go. Make sure the holes in the reservoir aren't blocked before hand too. I then can use the hose by lifting up and down above the feed and bleed heights to drag through any air blockages. Once I have sucked through enough fluid to almost reach my mouth I have usually gotten rid of all the air locks. It's just a case of letting gravity take it's cause. I then lock up the bottom nipple. Top up the reservoir and screw on the cap.

If you have any other issues you may need to change the central rod into the gearbox as the Slave cylinder you have might have a deeper set diaphragm plate maybe?
DUCATI 907ie 1992
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Paul.

Did your replacement slave come with the special extender for older Ducati's?

Cheers.

Nick.
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you Nick and Stiv, I believe I did not bleed the slave enough. Because it still had to much air in the system, I had no pressure. Patience is not always my strong suit! I really appreciate all of your help. I did use the extender when I installed the new slave cylinder. I hope you all had a very Happy Father's day!
Warm regards,