Front wheel/Fork seals/oil capacity

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
ducatipete
model: 906 Paso
year: 1991

Front wheel/Fork seals/oil capacity

Post by ducatipete »

My rebuild continues...and so do the questions....I have now removed front wheel to clean discs and replace fork seals.

Question 1...should there be a axle washer on axle LH fork, where speedo drive sits? I found one on RHS, but not LHS, exploded picture in workshop indicates they should be one...but I don't have one. Previous owner was a mechanic so would be surprised if he left it off...

Question 2, does anyone know what oil capacity (cc) is required to refill each fork (manual mentions a dimension of 180mm from top of tube to top of oil)...cc would be more helpful?

thanks in advance...
Last edited by ducatipete on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ducatipete

Re: Front wheel

Post by ducatipete »

Worked it out, looking at parts page, the LH washer is incorporated in the speedo drive....now need to strip the forks to replace seals....
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Regarding your Oil the best way to fill is as suggested using a dipstick. I use a length of threaded bar which you can buy cheap enough from any B & Q store. I have mine painted with dots at 10mm intervals. I am just about to change my seals and caps plus refresh the oil on the 906.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
ducatipete

Post by ducatipete »

thanks englishstiv, my look seals ok, it was just the dust seals that were cracked...I'm not keen to strip forks down at the moment....unless is it realistic to remove the seal without stripping out? have read if you use heat and screws, then seal can be pulled out...
ducatipete

Re: Front Fork seals/ photograpghs added

Post by ducatipete »

Have stripped forks and found it all in good order...very straight forward, used a hot air gun to help removal of old seals but... can anyone confirm the small aluminium sleeve end (LHS) is fitted correctly with taper facing towards the main shaft (the one with short spring)...it dropped off as my 9 year old daughter came down from her bedroom to tell me she couldn't sleep and needed a drink!!!

ps I used a section of plastic rain guttering to help disassemble fork tubes and keep parts in order and be able to degrease them...

When I come to filling the tubes with oil, do I push down the chrome tube into the lower housing then measure the oil height???.
Attachments
DSC07429_zps5byauunk.jpg
DSC07429_zps5byauunk.jpg (159.93 KiB) Viewed 7553 times
DSC07428_zps1fwjjexr.jpg
DSC07428_zps1fwjjexr.jpg (257.55 KiB) Viewed 7553 times
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Front wheel/Fork seals/oil capacity

Post by paso750 »

When I come to filling the tubes with oil, do I push down the chrome tube into the lower housing then measure the oil height???.
yes (if with oil height you actually mean the air gap from the oil to the top of the tube)