Oil leaks 89 900 ss

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Re: Oil leaks 89 900 ss

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Got a parcel from steinedinse today so will start fitting some bits to covers, couple of questions, fit sightglass dry or with a sealant ? Same with gaskets to clutch / engine housing, cheers any ideas appreciated
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

sight glass ..... bit of soapy water , but then most sealants will also lube the sight glass on the way in, so up to you . and gaskets I put three bond on the cover and a smear of grease on the cases and then fit together about 1/2 normal tightness overnight then take the cover off , wipe off the grease and leave the gasket stuck to the cover and if you tighten up the bolts properly each time you will get about 10 uses out of that gasket
:evil: on my KDX250 engine I trimmed the gaskets so that nothing stuck out of the joint and then used a green felt tip to colour the edges of the gaskets ............and told everyone it was a carbon fibre/ neoprene factory racing gasket kit :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Awesome thanks for your help , I will go with some rtv sealant I have on the sights, and the gasket system sounds good, I went to fit the small bearing in the alt cover and thought ok there's gotta be a right and wrong way to do this as well, I gather you press it in the case then when you tighten the cover bolts it pulls the bearing onto the crankshaft, is that how it works with some grease on the internal of the bearing and the end of crankshaft, and I assume that new bearing is prelubed, basic stuff I guess but I gotta get it right
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I would fit the bearing onto the crankshaft 1st , then fit the case , which should be just about a firm push fit
004.JPG
004.JPG (104.96 KiB) Viewed 11540 times
I made this simple tool to pull the cover off using a socket as a mandrel. The bearing should be exposed to engine oil so I would remove any seals on the bearing before fitting . :)
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Yeah that makes sense still missing a couple of parts but hopefully have a shot at that real soon, much appreciated, some of these things are quite a bit tricky when you're not familiar with it , also the manual I have for this is pretty basic ok enough excuses couldn't do it without all your help, cheers
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

My " official " workshop manual is shite too , would be ok if you were already familiar with the bike . Most stuff you can muddle your way thru the poor interpretation and crap detail pix , however the wiring diagrams are available from other sources ( in colour ) and that is a big help . Some one hinted at unreliability but I don't see it and once you get your head round the desmo bit ( which really is no harder than normal valve ) the rest is pretty usual . I found the harder I caned it the more servicing the valves needed , and 1st trick there is to get some MBP valve collets as the standard ones are crap
https://store.bevelheaven.com/Engine-Re ... rive-Twin/
, my stockers usually broke a couple every service , and you may well discover when fitting the MBP collets that the clearances improve as a lot of the variation comes from the ( standard) collets getting hammered to bits .
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Good point the standard collets look pretty weak , that's a good little upgrade, definitely do that one, probs not yet , I can look back on this thread /whole site there's so much good information here, I owe the site some photos and they will happen, I really want some FCR'S although 2nd hand seem rare and new are around 1500 from what I've found so may have to stop dreaming , cheers have a good one , oh yeah the sightglasses went in sweet
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Just picked up my clutch cover albeit without venting but it has a new stainless sleeve for the slave piston, Justin at protwin also sold me a new barnett clutch pack that was destined for his racebike, so pretty well got all I need to suture up , happy days just gotta get my a into g
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Looking to refit alternator cover and trying to understand how the outrigger bearing gets it's oil feed, cant see any holes in the crankshaft , just a grub screw inside it, help needed and appreciated
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

oil feed is pretty much splash / oil vapour . They need bugger all , just enough to keep it wet . You'll have to find something else to worry about :P :) :) :)
Hamish
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

I don't know about the earlier bike but all of the Ducatis I've worked on have a hole in the end of the crank with an M8 thread that you can screw a crank turning tool into. The hole goes through to the crank oil gallery. I once forgot to replace the cover on a bike and when I started it up pissed oil all over the garage wall :shock:
But like Hamish says that bearing doesn't need much and splash lubrication would be enough.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Thanks for that guys and you're right Hamish I am a bit of a worry wart obviously it's got oil before so it will get oil again.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Its one of them things , if you didn't ask it would bite you . I didn't know that the hole in that end of the crank was pressurised . :)
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Cool, on the other end of the crankshaft (clutch) , luckily I ran this past Justin as well as I had the new oilseal on the crankshaft end bush reversed, since then I have looked at a 91 to 96 Haynes manual where it clearly shows that, It's easy to see how things can go bad and damage done , so I'm gunna keep asking those stupid questions
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

It seems the early 89 does not run a crank with a hole in the internal grub screw as later models , so rely solely on splash and my old bearing came out and it was all pretty dry so if I can remove the old grub screw I will replace with the new drilled one, , worry wart back at it like a dog at a bone