Problems with taking 907 keylock off

discussions specific to the 907IE
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Problems with taking 907 keylock off

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi!

I wonder now little how to take 907IE keylock off from triple clamp?? Very strange "nuts" under upper triple clamp !!!!

Does it go such way, that i use one enough long M6 screw WITH NUT "to inside that strange nut" and lock it with nut enough tight to screw and try to open it it counterclockwise?

How You guys have opened those strange nuts???

Surely i put (in rebuilding) there normal nuts.... Stupid way from Ducati in early 90's :banghead:

Antti
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Problems with taking 907 keylock off

Post by paso750 »

It's not stupid. Ducati and other bike manufacturers use them. It's an antitheft measure. There are different types. Some have a hex head that will break off once the bolt is tightened (bottom picture). The 907IE and several others used the conical bolt.
The are several ways to remove those bolts. Screwing another bolt into the conical bolt and countering it with a nut is unlikely to work. You should remove the triple clamp from the bike first. Then you can use a file/angle grinder or Dremel to create two flat areas so a fork spanner can be used to undo the bolts.
Or if that doesn't work you can screw in a hex bolt and weld that to the conical one.
Another option, which I guess won't work tho, is screw in a hex bolt with high strength Loctite. Maybe the Loctite is stronger than the torque of the conical bolt.
Attachments
77940011a.jpg
77940011a.jpg (83.89 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
900601.jpg
900601.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
angelix
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

Post by angelix »

There are different methods...

if yopu have access to the top of the bolt then you can also

- make a cut with a steel saw and using a percussion scredriver remove the old bolt; they are tighten just a little bit plus they are also made of soft steel therefore ad soon as you hit them they will unscrew. A little CRC / WD40 will help.

- drill it with a HSS bit , as soon as the dril bit gets close to the thread it will break out; then with a pair of goog pliers remove the thread.

Before you unscrew any bolt give it a good tap with a hammer, that will help loosen the bolt.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Mine screws are just like in that Gerhard's upper foto...... I know, that it is "securite" thing against bike stealers, but Ducati did it stupid way: Nowbody have time to open keylock underneath if try to steal bike fastly! If want to steal bike, then lift it fastly to van and later in carrage is enough time to derstoy such nuts some way. We shall see, what method i will use..... Anyway, stupid design and i never ever anymore put there such stupid nuts. Nylock's will be much better :thumbup: :lol:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Paul Paso
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Paul Paso »

#3 Easy out with a 1/4 Drive wratchet, gently applied pressure and they came right out. Weren't very tight to begin with. Replaced with socket head capscrew after repairing the switch.
Paul B.