Adding engine oil

discussions specific to the 907IE
Charlie1053
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Adding engine oil

Post by Charlie1053 »

Well, this may be the dumbest question asked here in awhile, but which part of the right side fairing do you remove to add engine oil? I tried removing the rear part, but it's secured in the middle of the panel somehow and I could figure out how to get it loose. I'm a non-mechanic :cry: and am wary of breaking a fairing tab or something, so any advice would be welcome! Thanks!!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Adding engine oil

Post by paso750 »

To remove the rear side panel remove the seat and then the two bolts holding the panel to the large front side panel. Then pull the front of the rear panel carefully outwards. There are two plugs on its inner side that sit in rubber grommets on the bottom side of the tank which is why it's still holding when the two bolts are removed. See pic below.
After that pull the rear panel forward and it will come off.
On the taillight there are two pins the side panel is stuck on to. If you pull it too far outwards in the front it will crack in the rear so be gentle.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

While G is correct ( above ) he left out the best bit :D . Technological advances born of Kiwi cunning ......and an almost total lack of funding have led us to this revelation
which might keep greenpeace of your back :lol:
Attachments
DSC03082.JPG
DSC03082.JPG (66.59 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Charlie1053

Post by Charlie1053 »

THANKS!!!
Bluey

Post by Bluey »

Mc tool wrote:While G is correct ( above ) he left out the best bit :D . Technological advances born of Kiwi cunning ......and an almost total lack of funding have led us to this revelation
which might keep greenpeace of your back :lol:
Always impressed by your shop tools McT. mine has a piece of green garden hose... i'll have to upgrade to the black :-).
Bluey

Post by Bluey »

paso750 wrote:There are two plugs on its inner side that sit in rubber grommets on the bottom side of the tank which is why it's still holding when the two bolts are removed.
Anyone got any spare of these grommets? My bike lost them before getting to me and i have a work around in place. if i had a proper one i could make a copy of it...

P-)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Stein Dinse still lists them (https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Complete-pa ... anguage=en) so you should be able to order them via your Ducati dealer as well.
nickta
year: 1992

Post by nickta »

Bluey wrote:
paso750 wrote:There are two plugs on its inner side that sit in rubber grommets on the bottom side of the tank which is why it's still holding when the two bolts are removed.
Anyone got any spare of these grommets? My bike lost them before getting to me and i have a work around in place. if i had a proper one i could make a copy of it...

P-)
They are still available through your local Ducati dealer. I purchased a few about 2 years ago, but couldn't work out why the 907 I had didn't need them? Then I took a close look at the side panels and saw the very fine hacksaw marks where a previous owner had cut the knobs off!?

Oh well...

Cheers.

Nick.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Mmmm, John Bobbit
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

nickta wrote:
Bluey wrote:

P-)
They are still available through your local Ducati dealer. I purchased a few about 2 years ago, but couldn't work out why the 907 I had didn't need them? Then I took a close look at the side panels and saw the very fine hacksaw marks where a previous owner had cut the knobs off!?

Oh well...

Cheers.

Nick.
Strange. The RH panel from my 907 has knobs on it but the LH panel doesn't although I can't think why anybody would remove them. I bought a pack of grommets for a Honda 125 off ebay which were the right size.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

DUCATI 907ie 1992