Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Sagil
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Restoration started

Post by Sagil »

Hi,
I want to share some of my work on my 1988 paso 750:
I started with disassembling most things from the frame except the motor and carbs.
the motor is running beautifully so I didn't want to disassemble it from the frame and carbs.
this is how its started:

some pics of the rusted frame:

tail painted:

motor painted:

Frame Painted and undertail restoration:

Hope you enjoy, I will keep updating my progress
Sagi
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Restoration started

Post by paso750 »

I'm not enjoying this :smoke: Your spraying the frame, engine and everything else with a spray can and without taking it all apart?
It reminds me of a Vespa I once bought on ebay. It looked good in the pictures ...
Sagil

Post by Sagil »

you are not correct! I have sanded everything to the bare metal and that painted with primer and then black.
there is no rust under the paint

the engine is painted with heat resistant color after hard cleaning and sanding it.
its looking good in real life and not only at the pictures!

see the tail example, everything disassemble in order to sand and paint it
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I have no intention to upset you. It's just that most of us would have seperated frame from motor and swingarm to spray each part individually.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990

Post by angelix »

Not sure... lets say there is need of a small repair, that system could work but here we are talking of the whole bike?

I need to tidy my 907 around the central stand, I am not planning of disassembling the frame ad repaint the whole thing... I will just take off the stand, paint it separately (maybe powder coated) and retouch the frame where it is needed, but doing the whole bike this way it seems to me a little bit too much.

As for the engine, I don't know if I like all bolts and nuts painted, but then I am a sort of a purist

I guess if he is happy is OK, at least all rust has been stopped and the frame should last a little bit longer...
Thebenelliman
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Thebenelliman »

Well done Sagil, I think too many of us make our restoration so hard that they never get finished!
Your approach still keeps the bike together and running I like that. To many Paso are broken or left to rot because people think a full restoration is out of the question.
Good luck finishing it off!
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
Sagil

Post by Sagil »

Thanks,
About all the engine bolts, I am replacing them with new ones.
One by one so everything will keep running.
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

I like you Sagil! You are an interesting individual with a strong conviction and a willful desire with an admirable goal and you are proceeding successfully with your vision. Keep us posted, it's good to see how we differ in our ideas and methods. Thank you very much for your time and energy documenting and sharing this fine project with us. We are all here to support you and assit you if we can. :-)
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Ronald
year: 1986

Post by Ronald »

Hi Sagil,

Nice challenging project you have there. Just my personal opinion and advice concerning your restoration method (for what it's worth): don't go the 'easy way' of not disassembling parts prior to painting or coating. If you do just a little more effort and take everything apart and remove all paint the end result (even with spray cans, if well used) will be so much better than what you'll reach now. I work in the paint & coating pretreatment business and 90% of the work is in doing a proper pretreatment before starting coating or painting!

Believe me, you'll make yourself and the bike happier. A Ducati Paso (as any bike BTW) deserves it.
If you need advice, then check this forum. There's loads of info on it. I have written a post on wheel restoration for instance.

Good luck!

Regards, Ronald
Jed61
year: 1990

Post by Jed61 »

:shock: I feel your pain ,Im in the middle of restoring mine .The biggest problem is getting replacement parts as mine was part dismantled bits missing when i bought it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-750-P ... true&rt=nc

The frame engine and motor are all now nearly sorted ,it wasnt any where near as good as it looks in the photos ,just in the middle of getting it ready to repaint A BIG THANK YOU TO Gerhard and Rudy for helping with some of the bits needed
Sagil

Post by Sagil »

Hi,
Some more progress on my 1988 Paso:
LHS of my motor with new bolts:

trying to paint gold (1 of 4):

Pic of my electronic parts under the seat with a Fuze Housing that I have design and printed: