New member says Hi

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
chuckozzie
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

New member says Hi

Post by chuckozzie »

Hello first time poster here
I have been lurking around on the site for a while and it has really beena a big help with me getting my 1989 900ss back on the road. I had it laid up in storage for a few years as it had problems with the front forks and the clutch was stuffed.

However thanks to the info on this site I now have it all fixed and back on the road.

I would like to give some feedback on the clutch fix that I found here. I did the late model slave cylinder conversion with the home made clutch pushrod/button with the roller bearing and i can say what a huge difference from the original un-caged bearing cockup that the factory had originally. The clutch operation is now very smooth and quite -- no rumbling or groaning noises when taking off.

I also did the clutch master cylinder rebuild and followed the How-to on this site. Would like to give some feedback on the process for getting the old plunger and seals out of the master cylinder body that has that expansion ring that holds the whole lot in.
This was a bastard to get out had a lot of trouble until i discovered that one of the threaded holes for the cover plate has been drill through to the other side of the expansion ring and what you are supposed to do is use a Pin Punch to bear down on the expansion ring and hit the pin punch and collapse the side of the expansion ring and it will just fall out.If only I found this out early on in the repair it would have saved a lot of swearing in the shed and had driven me to drink!

A few things about my bike -- I bought it new in dec 1989 after reading an article from an international motorcycle journo who swore --"hand on heart" that the factory had fixed the weber and all was good as I had read the stories about the Paso and the weber. Well that statement was not 100% accurate as I found out after riding it around for a while so an online trip to the Malossie Store for some delortos fixed the weber.

Then i had the enjoyment of the Marelli Digiplex blues-- banging out a nice backfire beat in time with the miss and fart at 4000rpm. So another online journey took me to Igni Tech where I discovered the joys of the Sparker TCIP4 ignition unit which has transformed the ride and starting of the bike. It was not an easy install as you have to adapt the existing wiring harness to connect to the TCIP4 connector plug. This unit is programmable with different curves etc but I just used the default curve that the supplier recommended. If you get these units you must tell the supplier that it is for replacement of the digiplex as it will have different firmware loaded to suit the ignition pickup type.

So thanks to everyone here for taking the time to post as sharing the information is what keeps these bikes on the road.
cheers
chuckozzie
Attachments
resized ducatiIMAG0170.jpg
resized ducatiIMAG0170.jpg (311.29 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Jed61
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990

Re: New member says Hi

Post by Jed61 »

hello , bikes looking great at least you live in a more bike friendly climate and can get ot n about on it .Its blowing a gale and bucketing it down iver here at the mo looking forward to spring .....Enjoy
Barry
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by Barry »

Hi pall do you know if the igni tech will work on the 750 sport Thanks Barry
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Nice looking bike chuckozzie, the mods you have done to your bike should make it real sweet, great inspiring stuff