Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

delagem
year: 0

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement?

Post by delagem »

Has anyone come up with a cheap replacement for the oil pressure sensor? I've searched the Forum, and the only reference I found was maybe the one for a Renault tractor will work. I dug through the bins at Auto Zone this evening, and found one absolutely identical; unfortunately it's a normally open switch, Paso uses normally closed. So the light works backwards... I just don't want to wait a week (or more) for one of these from a dealer.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

remembering, that VW Polo hade same, but dont know connecting pressure... There is somewhere in net "Ducati spare parts changing list", or something like that, but cant remember, where...
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
delagem

Post by delagem »

Thanks, Antti, I had saved the link to the parts interchangeability, but that site has been down for several days now.

Here's the link in case it ever starts working again:
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm

Not sure if auto parts stores in the USA would have any idea what a VW Polo is! So I may try some other VW's, and bring my voltmeter this time...

Oh, and thanks for your help with the oil lines earlier this week!
delagem

Post by delagem »

Two additional things to note here:

If you go to archive.org, and use the "Wayback Machine" you can view web sites that are now dead. I did this and went to the Paso Parts Interchangeability site. Unfortunately, his info is wrong. The Polo/Fox VW sensor is exactly identical to the Paso, except normally open. Paso is normally closed. So it's backwards.

The GM part # he lists is meaningless to all the auto parts stores here, including GM.

Help!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Backwards??? :confused: I am stunned now. I have one VW sensor, so i must check that thing...... I think, allways, when no pressure, then contact is on (to earth) and light is on then..... Wondering, wondering.... :confused:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
delagem

Post by delagem »

Hi Antti, I bought the VW sensor, and put it in the bike. When I switched the key on, no oil light. When I started the engine, the oil light came on. Then, when I shut the engine off, about 3 sec's later, the light went back off!

But here's a twist; I think my bike has a 907 dashboard in it. The temp gauge on the right shows a max temp of 250 F, what does yours go to? 250F is not particularly hot for oil, I think...

This bike is a real mystery. 750 Paso, but with 907 bodywork on it. I know it doesn't fit, but somehow it does! I think both the tank mount and the fairing bracket were modified, judging by the welds. Whoever did it, did a nice job.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi!

I check just my VW new switch and You are RIGHT! That switch really function "backwards", Its open, when no pressure! :sad: :mad: :sad: :mad:

I check both 750 Paso and 907IE wiring chema and BOTH use same method to work: There is coming +12V from dasboard to warning light and then wire goes to this switch, what groungs that wire to earth, when NO pressure! So switch must be closed, when no pressure to function right way. VW switch function via versa! :mad: Can someone send this info to this part list to make correction: http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm ???

About temp meters:

907IE max temp 120C
750 Paso 150C

But that 750 Paso temp sensor is in such place, that wind cool it and it doesnt show real engine temp. Normally it shows something about 60-70C and if enough warm weather and driving in city(no cooling effect), then it goes up to middle of scale somewhere....
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
delagem

Post by delagem »

I emailed David Harvey, the former maintainer of the waitrose webpage for Pasos; he's out of it now. His info was handed over to Ducati Owners Club of Great Britain. They have a Paso section, but it's only accessible by members. I will update them with the problem with the VW sensor, but I'm going to try a bit further to try to find a replacement first.

Here's the link to DOCGB:
http://www.docgb.org/membership/index.htm

Alternately, visit:
http://www.archive.org, click on the "Wayback Machine" and enter the link:
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm

Don't get me started on the temp sensor; that's my next project!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Thanks, delagem ! Its good, that everybody knows, that VW sensor DONT fit to Ducati at all !!! Its stupid, if some another uses they money to that sensor... I can put it to my VW Passat, but NOT to Paso :sad: Sometimes there are plenty of shit in internet, U know.... Anyway, its good, that U are contact to that site..... :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Gwenadu

Post by Gwenadu »

Hi Delagem! I use the Renault tractor sensor. I think that many European cars use this type of sensor. if I remember, the thread is M10x1 mm. I don't understand why the WW sensor Woks like this :confused: .
Alain.
delagem

Post by delagem »

Yes, it's 10 x 1.0 mm, most sensors use taper or NPT, these use straight or BSP and a crush washer to seal. There are a thousand sensors that are normally switched closed, but exactly NONE are straight thread! At least none in US auto parts stores; I cleared the shelves in 3 stores... (and now parts guys roll their eyes when they see me coming-I have become "that guy")

I've got calls in at Niehoff and Bosch, I'm gonna get an answer on this one!

Can you give me a part or model # for the Renault? Best would be the Renault part # and the model tractor it fits!
delagem

Post by delagem »

Ok, after an exhaustve search:

Ducati #69921511A $27.23
This is version 5 of the original, same as 907 Paso

Bosch # 0344101041 $15.34

Borg Warner # S4071 $11.99

Borg Warner #S4155 $5.99

Now for the confusing data: Most places that sell Bosch parts will have no idea what that 10 digit # is for, they want a 5 digit code; if you find these people, walk away. They won't be able to help. What you're looking for is an industrial supplier, like United Auto Supply, or a Diesel Repair shop. Syracuse Diesel, 315 463 8573, can get them.

The Bosch part was discontinued in July 2002, but they have plenty in stock. The part was superceded by 0986344041, but even though that is the current part, it is unavailable! So for now, order the 0344101041.

Both of the Borg Warner parts were sourced at Auto Zone. I called my local store, and ordered a S4071, it came as a Wells PS378, and was labelled for a 1992 Acura Integra.

The final Borg Warner, ordered as a S4155, came as a Niehoff OP25511.

Both of the Borg Warner parts have a very low threshhold pressure; i.e. if the oil pump fails, the light takes over a minute to come on with cold oil! So in my opinion, the Bosch part is the best replacement, its' specs are close to the original.

This was such an adventure that I think I'm just going to put a piece of electrical tape over the oil temp gauge which was going to be the next thing to fix!
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

I have installed an original ducati sensor from monster spare list. it's packed with both male and female plugging, as to substitute them, and it works good
Have a nice ride, Nicola
Max
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Max »

If you guys wear not able to find the right sending unit, you can always use a relay the reverse the function.

Max
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

SURELY, BUT relay with another switch coast as much, as original and much more, than Bosch unit! :funny:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey