Shinko tyres again available

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Fulvia-hf
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Shinko tyres again available

Post by Fulvia-hf »

I'm a newby with a recently purchased 906. The third bike I owned was a 750 Paso which I bought in the early 90's and was the first bike I could 'knee down' on. Like your first time sex partner you never forget the bike your first got your knee down on.
This 906 brought back this and other memories and I could not resist.
As it is in an OK but not stunning condition I started a small refurbishment. I also wanted to change the 2003 DOT coded Michelins and discovered that something has changed between now and 25 years ago in the tyre department. For these bikes, Tyre availability has become a problem.
After Pirelli stopped making the MP7Sport only Michelin was supplying tyres and these continued till roughly 2010.
Golden Tyre made a more modern variant and if I am not mistaking Shinko took over production but as demand is low, not many of these 16"shod bikes are making al lot of miles, supply is limited and availability erratic.

But today I discovered that (at least in Holland and Belgium a new batch has arrived. Date code about three months old. I have immediately ordered a set but would like to give this info to all Paso, and 750 Sport riders in this forum.
Surf to Bike design Benelux.

Cheers,
William
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Shinko tyres again available

Post by higgy »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good to know
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Sure is , my pile of michelins has shrunk by a pair , told my hairdresser ....yeah yeah ,I was getting a #2 haircut , about my tires , kinda funny coz I got the feeling I was being interogated , but anyhow her Dad turned up at home ( I also told her I had the new fence on the corner ) he paid me 900 bucks nz ,he has an early 851 in his snooker room and wanted new tires . I havnt see the bike yet but apparently it looks like it just left the factory , hence the need for new factory tires.......works for me , cept Di had a use for my 900 bucks so I didnt get to hang on to it for long ........going to a tradie to lay the kitchen flooring that has been in the junk room for 3 years .
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
murphus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by murphus »

Must have ordered mine too early. Got 'em about 3 months ago, date code 31st week of 2019, so July, now almost 2 years old.
1973 BMW R75/5
1976 Suzuki GT185
1983 Lavarda RGS 1000
1988 Ducati Paso 750
1995 BMW K75
randtcastell
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

I pulled a Mctool when Golden Tyre was making and shipping them initially. I bought 3 pair, immediately put them in heavy gauge black plastic bags, sealed 'em up and stuck in a temp controlled area high on a shelf. I think that was about 7 years ago. I just put the third pair on. The durometer on my finger tip indicated softness and my olfactory sensor indicated freshness.

Everything about Pasos I learned here. Thank you to all the folks here for all you've shared and all that I have gained.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Kmamac
year: 1990

Post by Kmamac »

This is good. I purchased a pair about 4 years ago. Maybe this summer or next I will need to replace. Could you state the supplier you used. I did have a look a month or so ago for UK based suppliers and drew a blank which started to worry me!
Fulvia-hf

Post by Fulvia-hf »

Will these Shinko tyres really transform the Paso?
I remember having made some changes 25 years ago when I had my 750. I had a 130/70R16 fireblade tyre fitted and had the rear jacked up by shortening the Tie-rods in the rear suspension by 10mm.
In this configuration it felt much more natural and the standing up during braking was gone. The slightly raised stance made the Paso look better too IMHO.
Today with my newly accuired 906 I would not go that far. But maybe the Shinko's are enough to improve the bike so I do not have to.

Cheers,
William

PS what milage do you get from the Shinko?
Last edited by Fulvia-hf on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Initially I was kind of amused by this post tbh. Certainly the tire situation would be know here as the forum exists already a long time and that topic can be found in the FAQs, as well.
However, it's good to point out that fresh tires are available. I've bought a set last month and they are from 2020. The german importer didn't know if he'll order more this year as there seems to be a minimum order quantity of 100 pieces. That is what they sell in 2-3 years, he said. The tires are produced in batches every few months like Michelin did in the last years.

Sometimes I still find comments on the internet about tires not being available and some guys therefore advise not to by a Paso which is nonsense.
However everybody who has one (and that includes me) should get it out of the garage and on the road. Ride it on regular basis. Consuming tires, buying new ones and creating a constant (even if low) demand should ensure that they will be available also in future. Buying several pairs of tires and hoarding them for years imho sends the wrong signal to the tire manufacturer.

Hamish, you got 900 NZ$ for a set of old Michelins? You lucky bastard. :beer: Almost wish I hadn't thrown mine away years ago.
smartino67

Post by smartino67 »

paso750 wrote: However everybody who has one (and that includes me) should get it out of the garage and on the road. Ride it on regular basis. Consuming tires, buying new ones and creating a constant (even if low) demand should ensure that they will be available also in future. Buying several pairs of tires and hoarding them for years imho sends the wrong signal to the tire manufacturer
I wholly share this opinion. I ride my 906 every day since 2014, when I bought it, parked in a garage for years with its original Michelin tyres. After 45000 km (total shown on dashboard 80000) I can say in my experience no particular difficulty to find Shinko tyres (always taken by ebay). They are good and let me ride (rear side) 15-20000 km before changing (1 change in 3 years). On front side 4 years ago I made changes suggested on this very helpful forum, from 130/60 to 130/70, size much easier to be found in the market. After a tyre change, I search for new set and I am usually able to get one in short time at a reasonable price, so I buy it and save in my garage for the future. Never stopped riding because replacing tyres were not available.
Fulvia-hf

Post by Fulvia-hf »

[On front side 4 years ago I made changes suggested on this very helpful forum, from 130/60 to 130/70, size much easier to be found in the market. After a tyre change, I search for new set and I am usually able to get one in short time at a reasonable price, so I buy it and save in my garage for the future. Never stopped riding because replacing tyres were not available.[/quote]

Why would you go for a 130/70 when you have no trouble finding the correct size?
smartino67

Post by smartino67 »

Fulvia-hf wrote:[On front side 4 years ago I made changes suggested on this very helpful forum, from 130/60 to 130/70, size much easier to be found in the market. After a tyre change, I search for new set and I am usually able to get one in short time at a reasonable price, so I buy it and save in my garage for the future. Never stopped riding because replacing tyres were not available.

Why would you go for a 130/70 when you have no trouble finding the correct size?[/quote]

(personal) reason is very simple : being 130/70 more common size than 130/60 (specific just for Paso, no other motorbike uses it), its price is more or less half and I can buy it at any moment while for 130/60 I have to wait for ebay or internet proposal. In one word, I can manage my time and money better.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

specific just for Paso, no other motorbike uses it
750 Sport, 851 Tricolore, Bimota DB1
smartino67

Post by smartino67 »

paso750 wrote:
specific just for Paso, no other motorbike uses it
750 Sport, 851 Tricolore, Bimota DB1
Ok, I was wrong but we are speaking about the same "Tamburini family" after all. No other brand.
Fulvia-hf

Post by Fulvia-hf »

And the Ducati 750F1 Santamonica. Another rare beast.

Change of subject; I have decided that I will replace the very white, and very difficult to keep white, wheels of my 906 with the more classic and practical black/alu wheels of the 750 paso. I will have the white underbelly of the fairing wrapped in anthracite wrapping so everything is reversible. I would also love to remove the black paint from the top yoke and clip-ons together with the passenger grab handle like the early 750 paso's but this would be too much of a change for a rare bike like the 906. It will never be really collectible but originality is still important.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

... and the F1 Laguna Seca ;)
more ... practical black/alu wheels of the 750 paso
actually the white ones are probably more practical as they seem to have less corrosion problems and there's no clear coat that can peel off. I was mentioned long time ago here on the forum that WD40 works fine for cleaning the white rims.