750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by paso750 »

Freudenberg was my assumption. My bad.
An oil seal has the seal lip on the inner side. That is a piston seal.

Unfortunately I don't find anything in that size.
You could try to ring Stein Dinse Australia https://dropbears.com/s/sda/contact.htm
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Oh no...the poor buggers are trying to find the seal and are going to ring me back tomorrow :lol: :lol: . I'll give Stein Dinse Australia a call tomorrow.

Is this what I'm after.

https://ducati-gowanloch.com/shop/engin ... ston-seal/
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Andrew its good to see I'm not the only one doing the longest resto in history here waha, I guess you saw the debacle I had getting my clutch piston out, I'm pretty sure I got my v seal from steines. We're lucky in the west for now but no doubt we will get imprisonment here at some stage soon, silver lining there i guess is you can finish some projects. Mate that cali you bought was a ripping deal I would think, hopefully you're getting the odd chance to give her a sqirt
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Haha, yeah it's been sitting on the bike lift this whole time while I've been working on other bikes on my knees. With a bit of luck it'll be ready for our release in 2025 LOL. I actually rode the Cali yesterday. I did 100 kms around my LGA. Luckily I live at the bottom of MacQuarie Pass so all good. My young bloke works over your way. He's FIFO but at the moment he can't leave WA because Comrade McGowan won't let him back in. We haven't seen our kids since Christmas ( one in Qld ) and it's not looking any better for this Christmas.
I missed your clutch piston episode. I haven't really been on the site much lately. What page is it on so I can check it out. I'll have to put some time aside and catch up on your thread from where I left off.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I just found your struggle with your slave cylinder. Wow, I'm glad mine came out easier phew. I'm thinking my rubber seal had stuck to the bore. I'll be ordering a 93040091A tomorrow along with some new belts. The belts in it now are brand new but they've been sitting there a while just like my brand spanking new tyres. They're 7 years old now so I'll have to make a decision on whether to junk them or take a chance. The bike has been in my garage all this time so they might be ok.....maybe haha.
Last edited by Andrew2 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

You must be keen for the first ride when she's all done, the tyres are an issue for me as well , I think about 7 or 8 year old. Belts might be an issue too soon. It's good you can get out for a fang around your LGA, those pistons can be a bit hard to remove haha, I will Vaseline the new one up pretty well before I suture up. Its pretty shit how you can't see your kids , hopefully it won't be for too much longer.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I'll be easing in on the tyres and see how they feel before making a decision. I have some rubber grease here so I might give that ago on the seal when I put it all back together. The clutch pack will be coming out for a clean up as well.
Then all I have o do is put on the chain and steering damper, connect up the indicators and run over everything to make sure it's all bolted up. I did notice both muffler clamps were completely loose yesterday so who knows what else I haven't tightened up haha.
After going through your thread yesterday I realised I have read most of it but I think I'll reread the whole thing again. Your
're doing a great job with it :thumbup:
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

New seal ( 93040091A ) and belts on their way from Brad at Brad The Bike Boy.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I really can't understand why it's not working...all looks nice and clean to me :dunno:

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

This is the seal that's in it now, is this the 93040091A seal?.

I had a bit of trouble getting this off the bore. I'm thinking it's a bit of paint that's flaked off the inside of the clutch cover and stuck itself on there. It's off now. I had to resort to some careful scraping.

I bit of pipe cleaning and it's nearly done.
Last edited by Andrew2 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Yes, that's the v-type seal. If you lift the lip you will see NA150 ... on the inner side.
Too late now but scraping is best done with something wooden or plastic. Certainly it takes longer than using something made out of metal but there's no risk of scratching the surface. A bit of Acetone may work as well.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

So would that have been put on at the factory or has someone already changed?.

This is about as good as it's going to get.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

How loose a fit is the piston inside the bore?. When I first took it out it was real tight but now seems to have a fair bit of play. Just curious.

I might pop the piston back in with the old seal and see if it still seals ok just out of curiosity until the new one gets here.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Can some confirm that this is the correct order the sprocket is bolted up with the washer inside the sprocket as in this photo

The bike didn’t have the chain or sprocket on it when I bought it looking at the markings on the large washer I think he had it on like this.

I'm putting it on like the first photo because that's what the parts catalogue is showing it as. If I'm wrong please let me know.

cheers.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

The seal may have been replaced by a previous owner. Ducati only used them a little later.
With the spring behind and the seal on the piston there should be minimal play. Specially the further in it sits.

Maybe the washer is needed because someone used a longer bolt?