Lithium Batteries

News and talk of the motorcycling sport, industry and community
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Lithium Batteries

Post by englishstiv »

Hi folks hope you are all well? This is a bit long winded while a set the scene so go to the last 8 lines if you are in a hurry.

So this weekend I went out and gave my old girl a chance to clear her throat as per the normal 14 day cycle while she is off the road and I found out that my battery trickle charger had been dislodged and a flat battery.

Now I have fitted what was at the time 18 months ago an expensive Motobatt MBTX20UHD Absorbed Glass Matt Battery which replaced a standard YB16-B 12V 19AH lead acid battery which had itself been in the bike 4 yrs until I had a persistent Charge issue requiring extensive re wiring and a new Stature etc.
So after a full recharge and a re start of the engine all was fine until I tried another start up and the battery started puffing smoke and totally died with zero charge left in it.
Bike then was re started using an off the bike spare car battery with no issue.

So new battery required
My question is have any of you experience with this battery

1. NOCO Lithium NLP20, 600A Lithium Motorcycle Battery, 12V 7Ah Motorbike Battery

or this one

2. NOCO Lithium NLP30, 700A Lithium Motorcycle Battery, 12V 8Ah Motorbike Battery

For about the same money as the Motobatt I could go down the Lithium route, is it wise and worth it?

Or should I go back to the old stable lead acid route?

If yes to the Lithium which one number 1 or number 2?

Any one know or have some ideas or answers all appreciated. :thumbup: :beer:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
nickta

Re: Lithium Batteries

Post by nickta »

Hi Stiv.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Lithium batteries, but they are going to be the battery of the future. Assuming the resources can be found etc. They are smaller, lighter and can be pretty much taken to dead flat and they will make a come back to life when recharged. A lot of the equipment that work has installed around the place uses Solar and Batteries to power. The lead/acids are slowly being replaced by Lithium's mainly for the weight and ability to go lower in charge (ie: no sun on the panel). The usual turn over of the lead/acids were usually every 4-5 years. The hope is the Lithium's should last longer and cause less issues. A smart regulator was also needed, as the Lithium's are fairly particular when charged. Saying that, a lot of the Lithium's now have inbuilt regulators too, so any charge issues should be handled in the battery?

The update of the bike regulator would be a must before bolting in a Lithium battery. Just to be sure it was getting the correct charge. After that, what could possibly go wrong?

I did look into updating the 907 to a Lithium a little while back, but the batteries were a little expensive back then. The price has now come down to reasonable, so maybe a re-think is in order again?

It will be an interesting topic in future. The V Twin is a pretty heavy motor, and the Lead/Acid always seem to struggle with cranking if the HT cables are a bit dodgy. Maybe the Lithium will be the answer?

Cheers.
Nick.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I have motobat batteries in all my bikes/ quads /ride on's and have yet to have any issue . one is over 10 years on my quad . I think you have just had some bad luck .....at the least .
I have no probs checking out lithium batteries but they would have to be on par price wise as the agm motobats have done everything I want . :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

:truck: HeyStiv

Since you have "cured" your charging issues for the most part. Lithium may be the way to go.
As long as your regulator is up to the task.
On my 907ie After doing the stator replacement and much work on the wiring and upgrading the regulator to a Shindengen Mosfet
I feel the charging system should now be up to the task of keeping a lithium healthy
Glass mats once were the way to go but their time has past and they are very heavy compared to lithium.

Personally I would choose the 600ah over the 700ah. Too much and you may find the next weak link to be the sprag :banghead:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Many thanks folks, I think I may try the lithium route this time, I have actually find another one that is suitable for the 906 Paso but I am struggling to find a match for the 907ie although they do several for models around the same date of 91 to 92 such as the 851.

Shido LTX14AHL-BS Lithium Ion Battery - Ducati Paso

They appear to get a good write up in the UK and price wise they are pretty keen.

Choices Choices Choices :banghead:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
Thebenelliman

Post by Thebenelliman »

I have a jmt battery fitted to my 907ie and my Benelli 900 Sei and these have been fine. I have not altered the charging system on either bike from standard and all has been fine for the last 3 years. I do have a special lithium battery charger and have fitted battery isolators on both bikes. If a lithium battery goes flat it is hard to recharge, when this has happened the lithium charger fails to recharge the battery. I find if I put my old bradex 12v 3A charger on the battery for 15 minutes then the lithium charger will charge it. I think it’s difficult to recharge flat lithium batteries which is why some people don’t get on with them. All batteries are best kept fully charged, my 900 Sei had a 7 year old Varta lead acid battery that was fine because it was kept charged.
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Okay so here we have an up date. I was lucky in getting a NOCO Lithium NLP20 for less than half price and even cheaper than a good quality lead acid option, brand new boxed off an Ebay private seller about two months ago. The bike is still static as I am in the process of rubbing the panels downs for re paint. However I have to say the bike has never fired up so quickly and seems to hold charge really well even with the clock on {although I have a bypass for the fuse to stop it draining) Very pleased lets hope it works as well after a summer of running.

Thanks for all your help folks.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Mmmmm thinking about getting one for my boat ....just a weight distribution thing
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Mmmmm thinking about getting one for my boat ....just a weight distribution thing

Stupidly low weight and size and ideal for solar top up. I actually looked at a couple of Jet Ski forums that recommended them - not that I still have one anymore.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

So a year has passed and the bike has sadly had to stay laid up due to work commitments and the fact that I need the panels and tank to be resprayed however I have finally got the Corbin seat re skinned and a lovely job it is.

Now to the reason for my update.

Regarding the Lithium battery which has retained charge and fires the bike up without a hint of any effort on a monthly basis and especially even after spending a month or two off the Noco 1 amp charger used as a trickle supply. So if nothing else the lithium is keeping charge which is a lot better than my previous excursions into sealed lead and fibre matt lead batteries have been. Next test will be when back on the road which all being well should be mid June if not sooner.
DUCATI 907ie 1992