907ie Will Not Start

discussions specific to the 907IE
Glenbow
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

907ie Will Not Start

Post by Glenbow »

Hello all,

I joined the site a while ago but just got around to posting. I moved across the country (Canada) and now reside in Nova Scotia. Brought my bikes with me and I'm looking forward to riding my 907.

I took it into the local (1/2 hour away) bike shop which is a Honda dealer, not really any other options here except possibly for a 3hr drive to Halifax. I wanted to get the bike inspected so I could register it here. It was running fine last fall and this spring I fired her up and she was running rough. I asked the shop to check it out and long story short, now it will not start. They were going to charge me over $200 for their limited efforts and I convinced them that it was a bad idea considering I left them a running bike and was picking up a non-running bike.

They replaced the fuel and checked for spark and that's all they did. In the end, I was only charged for the fuel and the inspection ($40).

I am hoping someone here might be able to help me diagnose this problem.

When I turn the key on, the fuel pump comes on as normal. Kill switch is in the run position. I took the fuel filter out and I can blow air through it with no restrictions (it was replaced last year).

It has clean plugs and good spark on both, but they are dry when I take them out. The starter turns the bike over as normal, it just appears that I get no fuel to the cylinders. The 4-wire connector under the fuel tank is connected properly and the battery is fully charged. All fuses that I can find seem perfect.

Can anyone suggest what else I can check to sort this out? Thanks in advance!
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Re: 907ie Will Not Start

Post by Tamburinifan »

"she was running rough."
Could explain that further? Did it misfire, pop from exhaust, not fully rev etc?

Any kinks in fuel lines? Fuel lines fresh/ok?
How many miles since last check of valves, belts and TPS?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Crumpati
year: 1993

Post by Crumpati »

are you getting fuel out of the injectors? My bike hadnt been started for about 6 months and the injectors were blocked.
Glenbow

Post by Glenbow »

Thanks for replies! I really appreciate it.

Sorry I haven't checked back in sooner, been busy with work.

When it was running rough, it would rev more slowly and did not seem smooth running at any rpm. I think the exhaust popped one or twice and I recall a backfire once. Cam belts and filters were done last year and less than 100 Km's ago.

The strange thing is it was running normal when I parked it for the winter and then it wasn't running normally when I fired it up this spring.

The airbox and filter are also clean.

I will try checking all the fuel lines for kinks and see if any of them are clogged. I am not a mechanic, but I feel confident I could take some things apart and put them back together properly.

I am thinking it might be clogged injectors, but I do not know how to take them apart and check them - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all that have replied, this site is a great resource and I appreciate the helpfulness. Cheers!
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Injectors you just remove and have them sonically cleaned by professionals.

How is battery condition?
If it’s really low on juice, it can cause rough running as you described, FHE.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Glenbow

Post by Glenbow »

Success!

It is with great joy that I can report to you all that I solved the problem and fixed my bike, and I've put about 200km's on it in the last couple of days.

After much diagnosis by me, I determined that the injectors were plugged, most likely due to old fuel. I removed them and cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner I have (About $50 from Amazon) and I watched some youtube videos on cleaning injectors as well. I rigged up some leads to the battery and ran carb cleaner through them until they sprayed a nice mist and when I put everything back together she fired right up and runs like a champ!

I am very grateful for the assistance and guidance from forum members in helping me try to work out the problem and find the courage to tackle it myself.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Glenbow
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

:thumbup:
Crumpati
year: 1993