Muffler options

discussions specific to the 907IE
hondaboldor
year: 0

Muffler options

Post by hondaboldor »

Hi everybody,

After owning my 907IE for almost 19 years now, I am getting a little bit tired of the loud noise the exhaust is making.... Bike is fitted with Termignoni mufflers and they are very loud. Secondly, these "open style" mufflers are considered illegal in most countries in Europe, so I am increasingly starting to feel like a criminal while riding.

I am looking for some original (more quiet) mufflers, or do you know if there are other options? When you look at sites like Stein-Dinse, original mufflers are unable to source...

regards,
Sebastiaan
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Muffler options

Post by paso750 »

Rudy (duc-only.nl) might have some.I don't know if in the NL you need certain homologation numbers stamped on the exhaust as we do in Germany. If not the easiest would be to install some db killers. Also depending on how old the silencers are it may make sense to repack them.
hondaboldor

Post by hondaboldor »

Hi Paso750,

thanks for the reply; I have had contact with Duc-Only.nl already, but at this time he didn't have 907 mufflers in stock.

Maybe the repacking would be an option... I never did it with these mufflers. I had them removed from the bike and I can hear things rolling around in them.... so something is not right in there.
I ordered some dampening material and will try to repack them.
thanks for the tip,

regards,
Sebastiaan

PS; In Holland we do not need to get the bike into an annual technical proofing (like your TÜV), so maybe the install of some db-killers also could be an option; although I am afraid of loosing some power due to restricted flow.... first I will look what the repacking brings...
Janky59
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Janky59 »

There is a decent looking full system for the 907ie on eBay USA currently. A pretty reasonable price at USD 224.00.
Current moto stable:
‘21 Beta 390RS
‘18 BMW R1200RT
‘11 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO
‘92 Ducati 907ie
hondaboldor

Post by hondaboldor »

Took one of my mufflers apart, and they were completely empty :banghead: Insulation material completely gone. No wonder they were so loud....
20230226_201021.jpg
20230226_201021.jpg (109.32 KiB) Viewed 10554 times
Now in the process of repacking them;
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Over the years the glasfibre packing burns out and is blown out the exhaust. Be sure not to stuff in the new material too strongly otherwise the exhaust will remain loud.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Benefits of stainless steel wool in exhaust systems: Highly resilient to turbulent exhaust flows and temperatures to prevent blow out. Excellent thermal resistance up to 850 C or 1550 F. Mufflers packed with stainless steel wool will last up to 4 to 5 times longer than by using fiberglass alone. :choo: :choo: :choo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdYTqkouuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hGev8ENgo
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Yep ,I wrapped the inner tubes with stainless wool and mig wire , then fitted the outer sleeve and stuffed the outer area with fibreglass mat .
As G sez above .....sorta, the tighter you pack the fibreglass in the noisier it will be but the packing will last longer ......happy medium sort of thing 8)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time