discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Carb conversion

Post by fasterdammit »

I have an '88, and I have two Webers for it. The original was swapped for another 44 w/ completely different jets. I bought #2 off ebay, rebuilt & rejetted it in an attempt to work out the 4500rpm flat spot. The jet numbers came from a mechanic; he kept calling it the "canadian spec" numbers :roll: and they ironed out the flat spot, but it runs rich as hell. I don't notice when I'm abusing the speed limit, but in town - it stinks.

Another mechanic - also a previous Paso owner & racer - highly recommended the Mikuni option to fix the Weber problem. But that's all the info I got: "get a pair of Mikunis". So my question: which Mikunis should I be looking for, and how invasive is the surgery going to be?

Keep in mind, nothing is out of the ordinary on this bike; and while I don't mind making mods in the interest of improving performance, if we're talking about cutting up the airbox I'm of a better mind to either find another one, or build one from scratch (there's a great CF fab shop in the area) before I wreck mine. I like keeping my 'stock parts' option open. ;)

So what am I looking for? 38mm? 40mm? Will a pair of m750 carbs work? I'm not against hanging my 'Silentium' pipes on the wall for something free-breathing, and/or converting to an open airbox (if possible?). My Monster has an open airbox, stage II jet kit & high exit Termis & I love that combination; if I could find something to make the Paso equally ... anxious, I'd be thrilled.

TIA
Jake
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

I suppose I should mention that I'm open to all suggestions, so if Mikunis aren't the ideal option, let me know. I figure the best education I can get is from people who've been there done that, so I'm willing to listen!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

The best thing to do with the weber carb is throw the damn thing in the bin. I spent a year trying to get it to run properly. Jets, float heights , holes in throttle plates, gas analysers you name it, tried what others thought were the best mods to the original settings but it was just a waste of time.
I bought a set of mikuni cv 38mm carbs off a 750 monster but any of the BDST38 carbs for 750/900 will do as long as you rejet to the 750ss specs.You will also need the inlet manifolds off the later bike and two cable throttle control. I put in a Stage 1 Dynajet kit for 750 ss and a set of Unifilter foam air filters that are made for the later 750ss. The bike already had a 2into 1 conti pipe which is just a straight hole with cheese grater holes inside. Now hears the bottom line. No flat spot, even progression from low down,more grunt from mid range and it starts better.
It may be a bit of mucking around but I wish I had done it sooner - would have saved alot of agro.
Good luck
Tony
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Tony - thanks for the reply and details!

The filters you used - are they pod filters? One for each carb? Or did you incorporate the Monster airbox into the Paso, or do the Mikunis work with the stock Paso airbox?

Jake
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
silverfox

Carb conversion

Post by silverfox »

I first modified the stock paso box with carbon fibre and the rubber intakes from the mikuni airbox. I left the box open and put in a paper type filter from a Honda civic car (flat square filter that fitted).
I thought that since the car filter was designed for a 1600cc car that it would do nicely.
How wrong I was! It just wouldn't breath - even though I left the top cover off the filter box to improve flow - it just bogged big time.
Maybe a K&N type filter would have been better but I gave up on the filter box.
So yes, they are individual pod filters - they have a slight angle on them - so can be angled back and slightly together to fit neatly under the tank.These filter are made for the later 750ss and clamp straight on the carbs.

Cheers
Tony
silverfox

carb conversion

Post by silverfox »

Just found the filter packet -
They are- UNI FILTER PK79 (set of 2) "57mm road bike kit suits Ducati 750/900 ss raod bike"
They work very well - not as quiet but that is what earplugs are for.
Made in Austrailia

http://www.uniflow.com.au

Tony
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

The Dellorto carbs with the malossi manifolds is what I have on my 750. There are kits out there for the 750-Sport that you can buy new with throttle cables and chokes.

I run unipod filters on my Dell's and they seem to work ok. No airbox at all. Nice intake HONK when you excercise the throttle.
fausto
year: 0

Post by fausto »

I converted my 87 paso to the dellorto 40mm pumper carbs also using the malossi kit. Easy to install, easy to tune, and what a difference! Can recommend it highly. Only problem is when new, the carbs hated wet weather... they would sometimes stay open, pretty scary!