Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: FRONT SPROCKET

Post by jcslocum »

Desmo_Demon wrote:
silverfox wrote:I wonder if you get tooooo much movement (still only have one thickness of sprocket spline ) between all those plates that causes the bolts to unscrew/break wires.
I was figuring since the bike is nearly 100% ridden in the mountains, maybe all the back-and-forth between acceleration and deceleration was acting like an impact wrench. I was a little miffed when the bolts came loose after applying Locktite on them, but I was completely shocked when the bolts came loose with Locktite AND the safety wire broke.
If you look at what you created it's not hard to see why it broke out. The sprocket was transferring all of the load to the bolts. It doesn't fit tight on the shaft so there has to be movement. All the keeper does it prevent side to side movement. Everytime you whacked the throttle you were wrenching the crap out of it.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

jcslocum wrote:If you look at what you created it's not hard to see why it broke out. The sprocket was transferring all of the load to the bolts. It doesn't fit tight on the shaft so there has to be movement. All the keeper does it prevent side to side movement. Everytime you whacked the throttle you were wrenching the crap out of it.
Exactly.

I have been thinking of a way to leave the assembly a little loose so it has the freedom to allow play between the splines (in the direction of the force - along the path of chain travel). My only concern is the sprocket traveling in and out along the shaft, possibly further chewing up the splines and prematurely wearing the retainer. I may go back to that design and try to figure out the best way to allow some wiggle. The easiest way is to get a bolt that is a little too long and bottom it out in the shaft, but I hate bottoming out any bolt in a blind hole (usually boogers up the threads on both the bolt and the threaded part it is screwed into).
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

I was thinking about this and came to the same conclusion. If there is any freeplay in the sprocket to the shaft, it will loosen up the bolt. the sprocket has to have freeplay, otherwise you will need to press fit the sprocket on the shaft.

Your best bet would be a shoulder bolt and use a warpy (Bellville) washer to reduce the amount of freeplay. Let the shoulder of the bolt bottom on the end of the shaft. Another method would be to make a collar that the bolt tightens down on, but does not transmit the torque to the plate. Use Loctite on the bolt threads, and a touch of grease on the bellville.

The Ducati manual suggests a thick grease on the shaft splines before you install the sprocket. As I think of this, Disc Brake Quieting grease would probably be the ideal stuff to put there. Its super thick, doesn't wander, and has a damping affect.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.