Removing rust from the tank

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Max
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Removing rust from the tank

Post by Max »

Does any body know if a little surface rust in the gas tank will heart anything ? This happened when I was wet sanding the tank after the paint job and some water got inside the tank.
pope

Post by pope »

Max,
Two things will help, if it is only a little rust: Buy a bag of steel bearing balls, with tank off of bike, remove fuel sender unit, close all openings with duct tape or some type of cap, fill tank about a 1/4 with gas or better yet a solvent, insert balls in main gas cap, install cap. Shake the tank by hand. This loosens up any tough rust. Repeat, remove all of the balls and old solvent or gas, then rinse with fresh gas.
If it is not a heavy rust: simply put a good fuel filter in line from the petcock to the carbs, but don't cheap out, buy a good one that will keep the fuel clean and make sure that the filter is clear so that you can see what is happening and when to change or clean it.
Lastly if it is really bad rust there is a product called "KREEM" gas tank sealant. It is specifically made for problems like this. I've used it before. It is a good product and you would want to follow the instructions that come with it.
Doug
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Any info in internet about this "KREEM" ??? :confused:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

As Mr Mackey says on South Park, Rust is bad, um'kay? A little surface rust will eventually lead to a problem.

KREEM is a sealant that puts a "Tank within a tank" inside your fuel tank. It is available two ways, a 3 part kit including the etching solution (Muriatic acid I think?), some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to remove the water, and the Kreem itself. It is also available as just the Kreem.

I have heard of very bad results from just using the Kreem, I think it's from people just Kreeming over the rust. Eventually it lifts off and either clogs the fuel filter, or the carbs if you don't run a filter.

I have had excellent results with the 3 part kit, on several different bikes. My YSR80 had holes in the tank so bad I thought it was unuseable; that was 10 years ago and it's still holding well!

I used a handful of nuts and bolts instead of ball bearings, then shook the bejezzus out of it for half an hour. Then just etched, cleaned, and Kreemed it. The stuff is pretty good. It's available online or at any decent bike shop in the States.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Look up POR-15. Supposed to be better than Kreem.

Be careful cleaning as to not make a spark. If you can see the rust, scotchbrite on a stick or or something and scrub it off to clean bare metal.
ducaustin77

Post by ducaustin77 »

Take your tank to Rusteco in Long Beach. They have the best rust removal techinique known. It doesnt etch the tank nor harm the pant on it. I had it and it worked great. I never sealed it afterwards and still no rust.

Austin