I'm shopping...

discussions specific to the 907IE
Wayfarer

I'm shopping...

Post by Wayfarer »

... for a nice, red 907. I've never owned a Ducati before and never even seen a 907. I would appreciate any buying advice, like what to watch out for, what to look for, etc. I've been riding and buying used bikes (Japanese) for 25 years and I am a fair shade tree mechanic, so I know something about what to look for in general. I am seeking advice on evaluating used 907's in particular.

There is a nice looking '91 on eBay, located in S. Carolina that I'm watching. There is another in Ohio as well.

Where can I find tech specs on the 907? I've read the April, 1991 article in Motorcyclist magazine, but it does not inlcude the horsepower spec. One ad for a used 907 says it makes 95 HP, which seems a little optimistic for a 904cc motor, at least at the rear wheel.

-Tim
90_907ie

Post by 90_907ie »

I have had mine for 6 months, and have wanted many times to sell it, but every time I start it up, and take it down the highway, I can't remember what posessed me to want to sell it. I hear it's a common affliction with paso owners. Keep in mind the NADA list is about 1800 and mine on e-bay was 2500. But for the one in carolina listed now, I would be surprised to see 3k+. Keep in mind 907's are kind of an orphan model and many part are completely obsolete.
mrinflux
year: 0

things to look for:

Post by mrinflux »

i've been following all the 907s sold on e-bay for the past year and a half. almost all sold for between 4 and 5 thousand dollars, depending on the milage, condition and after-market upgrades. the following upgrades are common:

exhaust cans
air cleaner
racing chip
bar risers
chain wheels (sprokets)
braided brake and clutch lines
corbin seat
euro taillight
fender elimination kit
clutch cover

these upgrades alone cost a couple of thousand dollars, so factor their presence or absence when shopping.

other less common (and more expensive ) upgrades include:

dzus fasteners
rear suspension
master cylinder
brakes/rotors
marchesini rims (2 grand minimum just for this!)
clutch and/or slipper clutch
high compression pistons
944 kit

obviously, the presence of any of these upgrades increases value significantly.

generally, red is the most desirable color, and red 907s sell for more even though black 907s are much rarer. re-paints and custom paint jobs decrease value significantly.

milage is important. under 15,000 is good; under 10,000 is great. more than 30,000 is high and decreases value.

'91s are the least desirable; '93s are the most desirable. after model year "91, Ducati upgraded the brakes/rotors and switched from black to silver exhaust cans.

check the condition of body plastic carefully. older bikes often show stress fractures at or near the fasteners. replacement body plastic is hard to come by and expensive. and even if you find it, the paint may not match well.

check the condition of the paint. the painting process for the 907 is complicated and not easily replicated. it's not a simple matter of buying touch-up paint or ordering paint with paint codes. paint problems decrease value substantially; conversly, good paint enhances value.

mechanically, check for maintenance records. pay attention to valve and timing-belt maintenance. Ducati recommends that the valve timing belts be changed every 12,000 miles. this job is expensive. if the bike your considering needs new belts, this decreases value. make sure the bike idles and accelerates smoothly, w/o back fire. fuel mapping problems can be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair.

finally, consider who the current and former owners are/were. there are always exceptions, but generally speaking, 907s owned by "mature" riders haven't been ridden as hard, have fresher engines, and probably less repairs and headaches down the road. young bucks tend to ride harder, causing greater wear and tear on engine, suspension, brakes, and chasis.

95 horsepower sounds a bit optimistic. my '91, with performance upgrades, dynoed at 83 horsepower to the rear wheel, at FBF.

good luck!
Last edited by mrinflux on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rogero
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

Excellent post! Can't add much more to that but can confirm that tidy 907's are available in the UK for between £1,500 and £2,200 depending on condition etc.

Finding a standard one after all these years is near impossible, most have had some "improvements"....

The sound is very important to us all it seems!
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Ive had mine since last October paid just under two grand for it.Has full owner history and service history(important when buying second hand Duc).
Real head turner and a great ride( the bike not the wife)
Happy hunting
Go for it
Timbo
Apex

Post by Apex »

Tim--I just noticed your thread here after I posted a note in Steve B's thread about his 907 he sold. So I will reproduce it below so I don't have to type it again. Note in my original post I failed to mention I have both factory service manuals and the bike has bar risers and kevlar lines. It also has a BRAND NEW NOS rear shock that I found on ebay. In all the years I have watched ebay, I have never seen another. It is the stock part and would list for something nuts like $1800 if you could find one. I also have the perfectly serviceable original as a spare. The first post is as follows:

Tim--

I have a red 1993 907ie in Columbus, Ohio that I am giving serious thought to selling to finance another project. It has about 21,000 miles on it. It belonged to a close friend of mine for many years and when I bought it I did a bunch of work on it to make it look like it did when I first saw it over 10 years ago. Although never down, the paint had 10 years worth of wear so I had a total repaint done--everything that is red. It is a totally stock job, including all new factory decals. It is gorgeous. All new wellnuts were also used. I also put new D&D carbon slip-ons on the bike and a new Corbin seat (I have a new stock seat and one other seat as well). Several years ago at about 17,000 miles, my friend had Mark Sutton (formerly Steve Rapp's race mechanic) install FBF high compression pistons and high strength studs and Mark also ported the heads--so the bike runs very stong. I have installed belts not too many miles ago, and the oil, brake and clutch fluids and coolant are changed way more often than recommended. It also has a new Electrex RR51 regulator that I have wired directly to the battery so the bike charges great, unlike so many Pasos. I also installed an Odyssey battery last year. With the paint and all the other stuff I have over $8000 in this 907, but I am looking to get $5500 for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Jeff
robertschmidt

Post by robertschmidt »

Hello
i have a 92 for sale 15248 miles very good condition i have owned since 97 the bike is a garage queen usal upgrades chip cans airbox tires voltage reg batteries if you are interested email me at Baldtires@cox.com LOcated in north fla Best offer

Post by 1564 »

i have a 91 907ie in proper org. ducati red with 18k, california bike spend over $3000.00 in maintenance/preventive since 11/05 bike has all the stuff, staintunes and other proper upgrades...bike has no issues turn key and ride..you will not have to spend any cash on repairs maintence...presently purchased 851 and looking for 888 and 916 that why i am selling...will go on ebay this week if interested contact dandlgutierrez@comcast.net....$6,500.00 :thumbup:

91 907ie red california bike

Post by 1564 »

sold bike within 12 hrs on ebay for asking price of $6,500.00 i have new 851 toy with less than 1,500 org. miles...my buy 916 next