Whats involved

discussions specific to the 907IE
Timbo

Whats involved

Post by Timbo »

Re my recent posting -ignition problems-
I have bought a new starter solenoid but still have clicking noise coming from it when trying to start the bike.I have power down to the starter motor but its not turning.
Ive stripped the starter cleaned brushes etc but I noticed I was unable to withdraw it completely from the bike why :confused:
I had taken out the allen bolt which I think has something to do with holding it in (on left hand side of engine) but it still would not come out.
Its looking like a replacement starter motor :mad: whats involved in taking it off the bike.
Cheers
Timbo
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

You will have to pull the alternator cover from the left side of the engine. There are bolts that come thru from the inside of the engine to hold the starter.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Timbo, I've missed some of this I think, but have you cleaned and tightened all your connections in the starting and ignition circuits?

If not, that alone might solve your problem.

Also, when I had the same problem, I put in the relays as described in the 'Wiring Upgrade' at the top of the '750 Paso Tech FAQ' in the 750 Discussion Forum, and that fixed it.
Timbo

Starter motor?

Post by Timbo »

Thanks for replies.
Erskine-I started the Duc about five weeks ago no problems.
Left it and came to start three weeks later nothing but a clicking noise from starter soleniod-replaced with new unit still the same.
I think its got to be the starter motor(unless you can suggest anything else)
Its a new battery fully charged,theres hardly any voltage drop when starter button pressed.There is electric from the starter solenoid down to the starter motor(checked with amp meter)but it wont turn.
Ive dismantled the starter as best I could the brushes dont seem excessivley worn and yeah the copper windinings were dirty.All cleaned put back still nothing.Ive put it in gear to rock it forwards whilst in starter engaged no effect.
Ive just been quoted £260.00p for new starter motor and have been told they dont make the replacement starter brushes.
The bike is 1990 with 17600 miles on it.
Any suggestions where to look next.
Thanks
Timbo
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

If You have to take starter away:

1. left cover off
2. flywheel with free cloutch away(need compressed air & 30mm wrench tool with comp.air)
3. then that one "sprocket" between starter and free clutch away
4. then You can reach last 2 (of 3) starter bolts and can take starter away

REMEMBER all shim plates !!!!! and check free clutch same time!!!

One very important thing: When reassembly it, that thin shim between needle bearings and case MUST BE IN MIDDLE, before U put hole flywheel back and tighten it with compressed air tool and Loctite!!!!! If not, one day that shim drops to right place and then alternator nut get loose and shit starts to happen.

I did just that same starter /free clutch job to my 750 Paso and my free clutch wasnt samekind, as Icerianis one in that one topic with fotos... was it "free clutch problems", or something like that...

I have now new brushes inside starter and it turns very well now.. from local autoelectric shop, 8€ :lick:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

When I had the same problem, Timbo, I also took out my starter motor, checked it out completely, and put in new brushes (I had to make new brushes to fit myself). That made no difference.

The problem was not solved until I fitted the relays.

I'm no good with electrics, but I believe it might be possible, with original Paso wiring, for this problem to occur even with a good battery. However, with the relays fitted, the problem largely goes away. I believe it has something to do with the gauge of the wiring.
Gwenadu

Post by Gwenadu »

timbo, connect a car battery with "jumper cables" directly to the starter and you will see if the brushes are really too worn...
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Timbo,

Some info on taking the cover off.

Remove Alternator Cover
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Very good info, BUT they didnt mention anything about that very important shimplate behing those 2 nail bearings in axle !!!! THAT, IT MUST BE IN MIDDLE, when put flywheel and free clutch back. Many ST2:s had that problem, when they make engines in factory and very many recalls caused by that! I know many cases about it...
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Thanks for all replies :thumbup: working my way round to taking out starter but with work taking some time.Have connected a car battery to starter nothing.........ughhhhh :confused:
Timbo
Gwenadu

Post by Gwenadu »

Timbo,
new brushes: about 30 euros in France. simple to change... Perhaps the bearing... The rotor seems very strong, if necessary you can polish the copper parts with a 600 sandpaper.
On the 750 when you have removed the left cover, you can reach the starter screw by a hole in a sprocket. You have not to remove the flywheel), it is very simple... perhaps different on the 907. ( scuse my approximative english).
Alain.