Strange Clutch Problems

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Strange Clutch Problems

Post by 68k »

Hi

I have a very strange problem with the clutch of my Sport 750 (same engine like Paso 750) with 30000km:
After some miles the clutch starts to make some noise. If the clutch is released it squeaks nasty and if press the clutch half it sounds like a mill and you can feel the fibration aout of the clutch on the lever assy. When I am rolling with the pressed clutch the nasty sounds comes and goes, like one plate is not flat. When I disassemble and reassemble the clutch the problem is gone for some miles. I recognised that the clutch plates are to thin (2.9mm). The clutch housing is fine, only the clutch drum has a little abrasion on the outside of the pressure plate. The slave piston is new.
Does any one has a idea what this could be?
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

There have been plenty of clutch noises from all dry clutch Ducatis, like Pasos have... Simply first U must check these:

1. How many kms U have been ridden with Your clutch?
2. Are all friction plates in they needeed dimensions?(u can find right values from workshop manual)
3. Hows Your slave bearing?
4. Those metal plates condition? Wraped? Any blue colour? If so, then U have to change all !!!!
5. Basket condition? (that makes only normal Ducati sound...)

I think, if U have answers to these, then easier to go on.... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium

Post by 68k »

Hi Finnpaso, thank you for your answer. I am shure, it is not the noise as usual. The clutch also jerky and vibrating while I slip the clutch.

1. about 30 000 KM
2. They are to small, 2.9 instead of 3.3mm, but could that be the reason - I think there is more than this wrong
3. New
4. Good condition and flat
5. Seems also to be good.

Thank you and sorry for my english. :oops:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

U have to go to shop and buy new friction plates. 3.3mm/0.129" is MINIMUM. That system DONT work(!!!) with too thin friction plates! Buy new ones and then we can go on....

Btw springs must be at least 41mm/1.6142". Measure also them now!

I dont know Your riding style, but many Ducati owners have put new plates to they bikes before 30 000km. All depends about, how much You "slip" clutch! Dry clutch cant handdle slipping. Its on/off clutch! But if 30 000kms and friction plates sooo much under min level, then You have slipped Your clutch quite a lot.... go to shop.

Btw, if You drive with too thin plates, surely allkind damages can happen in clutch... Many times, those too thin friction plates can be noticed, if clutch is slipping, when U accelerate hardly....

How U measured that "flatness" of metal plates???? Want to know.... Did U measure it right way... ANY blue colour??? Be honesty just now!

Dont worry about Your english, its better, than mine! :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey

Post by 68k »

Thank you. I ordered a new clutch set* (metal an clutchplates), the springs are fine (more than 41mm). I will post a feedback when I got the parts.

* At Stein Dinse, 104.10 €, seems OK.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Stein Dinse is ok, but they mostly handdle Germany speaking customers better/faster :sad: Anyway, i think You NEED all NEW plates.... I pray, that nothing else have happened to Your clutch :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey

How to insert plates

Post by 68k »

Just a other little question: Does it matter in which position I mount the metal plates? They have little marks on the outside, do they have to be in one row?
Cheers,
Felix
Duc750
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

They definitely do

If you do a search on here or on the yahho group you will find Gerhards guid to clutch packing that he explained a couple of years ago

( I think it was Gerhard apologies to whoever it was if I have mis credited it!)
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

The info is in the 750 tech FAQ at the top of the forum list.
speedtrifle

Post by speedtrifle »

I've just posted a reply to another clutch question on the forum and I think it might be appropriate to your problem too:

"I had similar problems with our clutch but eventually tracked down the correct clutch plate fitting sequence which solved the problem. I posted a link about it:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=
"
Hope this helps,

Regards, Steve.

Clutch Problem solved

Post by 68k »

The problem seems finally solved! :thumbup:
After I waited two weeks for the clutch from stein dinse I measured them. The have been 2.9mm in thickness, so I sent them back because in the workshop manual is written that they have to be 3.3mm in minium. Then I ordered a new clutch kit at the local Duacti dealer. After they have been in backorder I found a other dealer with a kit on stock. I pick them up yesterday, but they are 2.9 mm too. I installed them anyway like it is written in Gerhards guide to clutch packing (thank you Gerhard! :thumbup: ). I've try it yesterday and everything seems to work fine. Maybe the only problem was the correct clutch sequence. My suggestion if you have any problems with your clutch: First be sure that the clutch sequence is correct , and as a second step order a clutch kit., even the friction plates are to thin.
desmodave

Re: Strange Clutch Problems

Post by desmodave »

68k wrote:Hi

I have a very strange problem with the clutch of my Sport 750 (same engine like Paso 750) with 30000km:
After some miles the clutch starts to make some noise. If the clutch is released it squeaks nasty and if press the clutch half it sounds like a mill and you can feel the fibration aout of the clutch on the lever assy. When I am rolling with the pressed clutch the nasty sounds comes and goes, like one plate is not flat. When I disassemble and reassemble the clutch the problem is gone for some miles. I recognised that the clutch plates are to thin (2.9mm). The clutch housing is fine, only the clutch drum has a little abrasion on the outside of the pressure plate. The slave piston is new.
Does any one has a idea what this could be?
this could just be how u put it back together u have to pull the plates back with ur hands the insert screws lightly and evenly to begin with.