69%

Total votes: 13

redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

She wont start, could it be Ethanol?

Post by redpaso »

Hey Guys, not sure what is going on with my "Mistress" but she doesn't seem to want to come out & play at the moment. Last weekend I started her up to warm while i donned the Leathers for a quick Sunday arvo squirt up the back road. SHe Started first go as usual but after 30 - 60 seconds she seemed to start to die off & cut out. I restarted again but she would not idle & felt down on power. Then she just would not start at all. "Fuel Filter" thought I & promptly removed all necessary fairing in order to access the filter, unscrew & clean it out, only to find that it was clear. I put it back in & pressed all the right buttons again but she still refuses to fire. It has a new battery & is turning over fine but not making anysounds like starting for me. I have checked the wiring & cant see any thing like a lose earth so I am a bit stumped. I hear the fuel filter kicking in so it is working fine. Fuel tap is on too. In the morning i will check the plugs but they are new so should be fine. Any suggestions before I get stuck into the old girl?
I did unintentionally fill the tank with Ethanol added fuel & rode the last 20km home 3 days prior to my last attempted ride. Could this have anything to do with my Mistress not playing the game? I understand that manufacturers don't recommend it but surely it would not be harmful. The 906 ran fine on the last leg home with a full tank of this stuff. It is not something that I would normally use & I am thinking of draining it anyway. could it be my problem or am I just being Paranoid? :confused:

Just out of curiosity i have added a poll to see how many of use use Ethanol added fuel.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Duc750
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

No never but thats more because we can't buy it really here.

I wouldn't have thought it would make too much of a difference provided there is enough normal fuel in there too :roll:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You can check for spark at a plug, red, as long as the plug is firmly held against the head when you turn the motor. It's bad for the electrics to turn the motor if a sparkplug lead is not firmly grounded.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

THe Ethanol content is 10% & it is available just about everywhere here in Australia. They tell us how much cleaner it is & it is about 2cents cheaper per litre which is about $1.30 a litre or closer to $1.40 for premium.

I am about to go check the spark very soon.
Redpaso
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

OK she is all sorted, turnedout to be the needle & float thingy sticking in the weber carby will replace asap but she is running fine now.

Still keen to know what you think of using Ethanol though so please vote on the poll
Redpaso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

It's not available over here, red. I'm glad to hear your mistress is once again feeling like it!
firewalkerau

Post by firewalkerau »

Evening all
I use ethanol in my Falcon but NEVER in the duck.
I have tried Shell Optimax, the engine wouldn't rev over 8000. Tried BP Premium, same result, except it felt like the rev limiter cut in at 7500.
I only use Mobil 8000 and if I can't get that, the best premium available and 8000 in as soon as I find a Mobil station so I can dilute whatever crap fuel I was forced to use.
She doesn't like to be ridden slow, fuels up and chugs like a tractor but when pressed on an open road, I have never heard a song like she sings.
But only on Mobil 8000
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

have put two tanks in of the ethanol fuel , found it fired better at low revs put very little difference over premium fuel. have only found it at one servo on the north side of sydney so dont go out of my way to use it
Ducati ST2 2002 , Ducati 696 2010 , Ducati Pantah 1983 (in progress )
wazzawiseman
year: 0

dont get

Post by wazzawiseman »

dont get ETHONOL here, but i will tell yoiu of a funny story, not sure if its related, after my bike being in the shop for eight months, i decided to add some WYNNS fuel additive (carb type) to the tank of fuel then a we while later i rode the bike and it was down on power and didnt sound right and wouldnt get over 7500 rpm, and a few day later it was all fine again.....so i didnt think anything of it (i thought maybe just crap in the tank or carb)........UNTIL a month later i added a diffrent type of mix to the tank (does the same as the WYNNS stuff) and low and behold i had exactly the same problem again ( Low RPMS, no pwer etc etc),........ this stuff is all meant to help the carbs N fuel, but my bike definitly dosnt like them, so i wont be putting in any additives again, has any one else experienced simlar? and any ideas of why it would do it?, cheers
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

ducati recommend NOT to put addictives in the fuel of your bikes...
THIS MEANS YOU!
this is to save your spark plugs and your outlet valves from any trouble addictives can give...
Try to change the spark plugs (I know they have a very short mileage and they don't look bad) and learn the lesson
Have a nice (nicer) ride, Nicola