fork seals and dust wipers

discussions specific to the 907IE
Stingray230SX
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

fork seals and dust wipers

Post by Stingray230SX »

many of you may have read that i need new fork seals and dust wipers in another post and one fellow poster recommended a brand of seal"leak proof".
well i can get the seals alone from e-bay or the wipers and seals from gowanloch and i asked marzocchi by e-mail and their response was that the M1R had two(2) diameters and they say to measure the stanchion where it goes in the fork so i am thinking they want the diameter of the chrome shaft of the fork as in where it goes in the lower "slider"...would this be correct and would any of you happen to know the diameter that i need before i run out and buy a pair of calipers?

thanks

doug hunt
Last edited by Stingray230SX on Tue May 02, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

907 has 41.7mm tubes
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

thanks very much

doug hunt
beemerboy

leaking forks and other stuff

Post by beemerboy »

Doug,

I went through this very thing late last summer and have lots to say about my experience. First off, I had a metal finisher strip and reapply the factory hard chrome finish. Cost to do this was $240 and I'm not sure I'd take that approach again. There are two companies I know of that might offer a new replacement, one is here in the US and the other's in England.

Marzocchi forks are known for being succeptible to pitting. I used to have a 1992 BMW K1 with Marzocchi forks and was told by a previous owner that the forks, seals, and dust caps all had to be replaced under warranty.

Anyway, PM me with your approach.....I might be able to save you time and/or $$.
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Who is your possible U.S. source? Hope your not thinking "Forking By Frank" as that is a dead end as far as 41.7mm tubes. If you have another source, would really be of help to a lot of people. I finally had to source from Ducati 2 years ago, over $600 for tubes!
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

qldman36 wrote:Who is your possible U.S. source? Hope your not thinking "Forking By Frank" as that is a dead end as far as 41.7mm tubes. If you have another source, would really be of help to a lot of people. I finally had to source from Ducati 2 years ago, over $600 for tubes!
Here's the content of an email response sent by Frank:

"We do not as yet have a prototype for 1992 Ducati 907 IE. Please call with the outside diameter measurement. We work from your sample tube if we can match the o.d. and i.d. measurements. A set is $224; UPS freight and cod fee is about $20. We return your sample tube. Please call us at 847-475-1003; let us know you sent an email. Thank you."

Here's his email address:
Frank Main [info@frankmain.qpg.com]
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

qldman36 wrote:Who is your possible U.S. source? Hope your not thinking "Forking By Frank" as that is a dead end as far as 41.7mm tubes. If you have another source, would really be of help to a lot of people. I finally had to source from Ducati 2 years ago, over $600 for tubes!
Here's the Limey, er, I mean Brit company I referred to:

http://www.fitforx.co.uk/
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Talked to her, female in charge by the way, and she said they did not have tubing that size. They buy mill run which can be 2000 feet or more of tubing, and as long as business is as brisk as it was at that time, they had no intentions of going to new sizes of stantions. Hopefully for us, not them, business has dropped off and they have made the investment. Last i heard which was by someone here on the forum six months or so ago, our tubes were still not available. If someone here does call, please post the results. Since they don't have specs for making 907 tubes, i would say they did not invest in 41.7 tubing.
Carl
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

qldman36 wrote: ....... Last i heard which was by someone here on the forum six months or so ago, our tubes were still not available. If someone here does call, please post the results. Since they don't have specs for making 907 tubes, i would say they did not invest in 41.7 tubing. Carl
In that case I'd definitely recommend using a local metal finisher capable of doing hard chrome work. It took me a while but I was able to find a place in Denver (a 70 mile ride one way for me) who was willing to take on the work. Most of his work load was rechroming stanchions for hydraulic construction equipment and he was reluctant to do mine until one of his motorcycle riding employees convinced him to give it a shot. It was either that or me crying like a baby :sad: that pushed him over the edge but either way I got what I wanted.

Mind you, I'd already ridden all over Denver with the stanchions bungee-corded to my BMW RT and already been turned away at three shops and was getting desparate. There was a set of 750 Paso stanchions on eBay at the time and that guy was asking $200 each as a starting bid. Screw that!

All is well now and I'm pleased with the work but I can't help but wonder what the future will be like as parts for our rare Ducs get more difficult to find.
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Feel lucky that those 750 tubes were over priced. If you had bought, you would have soon found out, too short! How do i know? First tubes from Ducati were 750's in 907 bags.
Correction, to long!
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

hope i dont need new tubes then,has anyone tried gowanloch for 907 fork tubes?

doug hunt
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

Stingray230SX wrote:hope i dont need new tubes then,has anyone tried gowanloch for 907 fork tubes?

doug hunt
Yea, and they never replied to my inquiry. It's the only time they didn't come through for me too.
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
LudeDuc

Fork Seals woes

Post by LudeDuc »

I replaced the fork seals on my 1991 907 this winter and just finding the seals was a challenge. I ordered a set of seals from this guy that sells them on EBay and the Diameter was ok but the seal were too thick to fit in the forks. I then ordered a set from PowerSportPro and the delivery took 4-5 weeks. I finally found out the local Ducati dealer in San Francisco (Monroe Motors) had the correct seals in stock.

PS: I never did find the Dust Covers but I was able to rubber cement them back into shap
beemerboy

Re: Fork Seals woes

Post by beemerboy »

LudeDuc wrote: .......PS: I never did find the Dust Covers but I was able to rubber cement them back into shap
Lude,

Gowanloch in AU kick arse when it comes to dredging up Paso & 90X parts. I've ordered stuff from them and stuff from dealers in WA and AL and received Australian parts quicker. That's where I got my dust caps...... :thumbup:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

yes , i have already received a reply from gowanloch and they do have the oil seals and dust wipers but i have also received a reply from marzocchi usa asking for tube diameter and i will wait and see if they can supply them as well..

doug hunt