Pre starting sequence when key is turned on ? Help????

discussions specific to the 907IE
Dino

Pre starting sequence when key is turned on ? Help????

Post by Dino »

The starting sequence when I turn the key on does ie the buzzing and tank pressurization etc. does not happen anymore and subsequently the bike will not start. I have power to everything andf it turns over etc. but it will not start. I have checked the fuses under the seat (they are good) and the three relays in the left hand fairing the one closest to the front end of the bike does not click like the others when the key is turned on...is it defective?

I am finding out I have alot to learn about my first DUC!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Dino
Stingray230SX
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

i havent looked at a schematic for the 907 but i know that if the run switch is moved to the off position the pump does not come on so an easy first check might be to disasemble/and/or verify that the run-stop switch is ok.

doug hunt
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Dino

Post by Dino »

Thanks Doug,
Yep checked that out and its good...... I'm not much of an electrical schematic guy, Mechanical yes , Electrical NO :ugh:

I looked at all the easy stuff..( sometimes I'm stupid :D )
Anyhow When I turn on the switch I can feel the relays Click all except for the front one.....Does anyone know what that one does?
Dino
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

Ever had the tank off the bike? if so u know theres a plug with 4 wires(maybe more as theres a low fuel light as well) on it that has the 12volts for the pump as well as two wires for the sending unit so you could pull yor tank and i think the two wires to the pump are marked (+ & -) on the metal plate that bolts on(part of the sending unit)based on that you could then check for 12 volts and that would either point to or eliminate the relay in question.

you should get 12 volts to two of the wires on that plug if all circuits are good,which would then mean your fuel pump has died :sad:

i think one of those relays is for the turn signals but i dont know that for sure(my bike was just apart for the last two weeks,but all put togeter as of this past sunday,so i cant just go look right this minute)
Dino

Post by Dino »

Nope, Never had the tank off.... As soon as I get the bike trailered back home tonight I'll check that plug and repost..... Damn, hope its not the fuel pump... :eek: !
Thanks Doug!
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

if you find its the fuel pump here is a bosch part number that works perfectly in place of the oem weber pump(i have one going on its third year now)

bosch # 0 580 463 999

google it and usually you can find it at three or four places,i used http://www.rockauto.com and it cost me 171.99 in 2004

doug hunt
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

907IE relays under front fairing left side in metal plate(looking from FRONT to BACK):

1. Blinkers
2. ECU and ECU sensors
3. Fuel pump, Ignition modules and coils

:thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Dino

Post by Dino »

CRAP! its the pump.... :sad: Have voltage and have now checked the continuity of the third relay and its good.....Bummer....
Doug, Thanks for the info on the part! That helps alot....
Thanks Finn for the help.
Dino