Ducati Dealers - Gerhard & Skins

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pope

Ducati Dealers - Gerhard & Skins

Post by pope »

Gerhard,
Quite honestly most of the Ducati Dealers in my area, there are four within a two hour drive, were not in business when the Paso was made. I believe that in courtries like Germany, England, Italy, Australia etc. you have a better mix of established and new Ducati dealers in a more compact area and they probably service your older Duc much better than they would here. The one dealer I use does not even have a fiche for the 750 Paso, I need to bring in a copy of the parts manual when I need parts. They make their money selling new bikes, expensive exhaust systems for those bikes, leathers, helmets etc. I would be surprised if all 4 dealerships sold $5k worth of Paso parts in a year, so stocking parts for these "Classic Bikes" is not in the cards. They will order the parts if they are available. If it is not available you usually get an "I'm sorry". Sometimes they will recommend Gowanloch, which is out of country and to me this isn't exactly practical. I've been thinking about selling the Paso and buying an ST2 or ST3 because of this issue, but for right now I'm keeping the Paso. As far as the oil inspection window goes, I had to purchase one of them myself about 2 years ago. They no longer make the original. I did find one locally NOS. The thing that I should have inquired about is whether one off of a newer model windows would fit, but the parts guy never offered up infomation like this.

In my opinion, we (DucatiPaso.org) ought to make a simple spread sheet with available parts, cross over numbers, obsolete numbers with suggestions Tech tips etc. Something real simple like an Excel Spreadsheet that any member can add to and easily print, this will help keep our bikes on the road. We can put the file in our download area. Anytime a member makes a purchase and the part is no longer available from Ducati it could be identified with a possible alternative. I think this would help a lot of us.

Doug
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Doug,

There used to be a Ducati Paso Parts Interchangability List on the 'net, but the link I have only gets me a 404 error now. :(

However, there is a pretty extensive Parts Interchangability list at the DOC (Ducati Owners Club) - but that appears to cover all Ducati, not just Paso. I haven't digested the entire thing by any means, but there are some Paso references in there.

I agree, it would be nice to see a comprehensive list of Paso parts crossovers; this would be the place to host such a thing, too. Does anyone remember who compiled the list that used to live here: http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm? (I linked it, just in case it actually comes back) It'd be nice if we could at least get in touch with the original owner to carry along the knowledge base ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Max

Post by Max »

This is an awsome idea :thumbup: . I think, some one has to organize this via his own email or something. I have been able to find other alternative parts which I could share too. I, currently have ordered the micro switch that can be mounted on our front brake master cylender to replace the lazy original one. I have the brembo's part number and will post it with the result and some pics of the work.

Max
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:co

Doug, from what I've read on this site, its seems that Gowanloch are one of the best sources in the world for older Duc parts, including Paso, and are very good at supplying overseas customers. I certainly think you should use them if they have something you need. There is another Aussie firm called EuroBrit, I think, who also sound good. You might be able to find them on the web. http://www.mdinaitalia.co. in the UK also look good, and ready to sevice international customers.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I do understand, that shops earn more money by selling new bikes than servicing old ones. However it`s a sad story.
Numerous engine parts are interchangeable between Paso, Sport, Supersport, Monster or even Cagiva Elefant.
Good Duc mechanics should know this, not only by experience but also by their trainings. I know from my Mechanic that he`s in Italy at least once a year when Ducati invites for such events.
But as you say lot of shops don`t really care. They don`t know the bike therefore they cannot help or don`t want to. If they would take the time to check things they would see what other parts could eventually be fitted.
My engine is full of parts from newer Ducs. The crankshaft was from a Monster, the flywheel is for Supersport/Monster as are the aftermarket cylinders, carbs came from a Supersport/Monster also. The axles of the valve rocker arms were changed from the old type to the newer one with the clip etc, etc.
I really hope you`ll find a shop (and may it not be a Duc shop) with some passion and time to help you out.

btw. I think I still have an original fiche somewhere if you need it.
At least I do recall I had one for the Sport and 906 (or 907ie ?!) I don`t even have a fiche reader. It was just a collector`s item :o)

Gerhard
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

I have read from somwhere, that Ducati wants to supply spare parts 10 years to each modell and then they sell rest spare parts to someone, how sell them again to those, who need them...

And surely Ducati uses as much as possible of same stuff to bikes of same time area.... Logical! :D
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
pope

Post by pope »

I was getting similar information from my local dealer. Spares would be available for 10 years for a year / model, then eventually phased out or sold off.
Doug
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

THere is a parts interchange list in the 750Tech FAQ at the top of this forum. Scroll down to the bottom.

There is also some other useful info there...