technical question...Help!

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

lucky

technical question...Help!

Post by lucky »

Hello all,

My Paso just started some weird problem. I finished with a 100 mile ride last weekend where it ran great. Later this week when I turned the key to the on position I can hear a faint ticking noise, accompanied by a flicker in the lights on the panel. This ticking is fast and continuous. After starting, the bike will not run correctly, it runs poorly under load and will not idle correctly.

Any thoughts?

Mike (Lucky) :confused:
pope

Post by pope »

Mike,
You'll get plenty of help with this problem. Here are some suggestions: You need to check all of your wiring connections especially the ones going to your fuel pump and ignition coils. Take them apart clean them make sure they go together tight. Make sure that your battery is up. At least 12 volts with ignition off measured at the battery. Once running measure voltage at battey, with revs above idle it should be more than 13V. If not your charging system isn't working. Could be the dreaded connections or the the alternator. During starting does the starter turn over good or is it slow? Make sure that you have 12 Volts at the igniton coils when starting. You should make the relay modifications to your wiring as detailed here on the websight.
Now after all that, my gut feel is that the connections to the fuel pump, the coils or the ignition switch is what is causing your problem. Make sure these are clean and tight. The igniton switch is an espcially sore spot with the Pasos and requires the modification that I mentioned to make it right. You could have a failing fuel pump, ignition coil (this usually presents itself by running on one cylinder) or possibly a bad ignition switch, but check your electrical connections first.
Good Luck!
Doug
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

if you aren't still succeded in troubleshooting, have a look to the voltage inlet and outlet the fuse box... maybe there's a bad plugging with some rost... Even the key switch can give some trouble with voltage loss.
have a nice debugging! :D ,Nicola
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

if you aren't still succeded in troubleshooting, have a look to the voltage inlet and outlet the fuse box... maybe there's a bad plugging with some rost... Even the key switch can give some trouble with voltage loss.
have a nice debugging! :D ,Nicola
lucky

Post by lucky »

Thanks guys!

Lucky
desmodave
year: 0

tech question

Post by desmodave »

Hope you fixed ur problem but u need first to determine if any changes have been made to your bike by a previous owner e.g electrics and also these bikes in england act strange im sure its to do with the coils situated down by the front wheel.I experienced this riding through snake pass in england it was very erratic like it had a mind of its own.
lucky

Post by lucky »

:confused: Ok, after further investigation and removal of body panels, the clicking sound with the key in the "on" position is coming from the small black box where the wires connect to the bottom of the fuel pump. Keep in mind the bike still starts, just runs poorly and will not idle.

If anyone can tell me what part this is, or how to fix it, please respond. If I take the 2 screws out of the small black unit, anything to be careful of?

I appreciate any help the experts can give me.

lucky (duc)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

dying relay

Post by ducinthebay »

It sounds as though you have a relay that is on the edge of life. when you turn on the key, it is supposed to 'make' and stay that way, and when you turn of the key it is supposed to 'break'. The clicking sound is most likely it making and breaking in repeated fashion. There are bits moving inside driven by a coil. Relays do die after time, which is why they are replaceable. The spade plug-in spacing should be standard and your local autoparts or motorcycle store should be able to help you out. If your counter person looks befuddled, ask to see a horn relay or headlight relay. The early ST's were plagued with bad relays, so alot of us got a lesson in where they all were, and how to replace them. Its a good idea to grease your connections with dielectric grease when replacing it. Hope this helps.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I don`t think that the problem comes from the clicking noise.
Every electric fuel pump makes that tickiing noises as soon as you switch ignition on. Some are a bit louder, than others.
If you think its the fuelpump, try to disconnect the fuel line to the carb hold it upwards and turn ignition on. Wrap a rag around the tube. If fuel will be pumped out, the pump works.
As suggested from others check your electrics and ground connections first.

G.