Fantastic Ride yesterday! Quick clutch question..

discussions specific to the 907IE
Texas907ie

Fantastic Ride yesterday! Quick clutch question..

Post by Texas907ie »

First, it strikes me that most posts on this forum (as with other forums) are related to problems. Yesterday though, I got the 907 out after not having ridden it for months. Rode from the DFW area up to a ghost town called Spanish Fort near the OK border. It was a hot day, but the old 907 ran FLAWLESSLY! I had forgotten how great it tracks through the bends and how immediate and precise the throttle and shifter are. Its as if the bike knew when a curve was coming because it eagerly laid in and carved each one. The stock pipes are cored and the sound was just delicious...I found myself doing things just to hear the exhaust note! It was an incredible day on my favorite bike...I hope you write in about your good runs too. As others have noted, the 907 is rare and draws stares wherever I go...same for yesterday. It was a really special day and left me wanting more!!

Quick question - I would like to adjust the clutch engagement point a little bit farther out from the handle bar. As this is a hydraulic clutch, is there any adjustment to it? I can find no reference to adjustments in my owner's guide.

Thanks in advance
Duc750
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

Without playing with the clutch pack and adding discs ( I really wouldn't!)

you're a bit stuck, perhaps a lever from a later MC with Dial adjust may be available for it which would do the job. Other than just clutch up a few wheelies and the clutch will soon wear away to give you the desired bite point :laugh:

(and no they don't wheelie too well and the 750 is even worse)
Rogero
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

Good idea - took the 907I.E. for a decent spin through South Wales on Holiday Morning, stopped in Abergavenny at a local well known bike friendly cafe. Parked next to a 1978 Moto Guzzi, and we were the best lookers in the car park!

Sounds great, went well even two up and slight rain in the air.

That's why I keep her, people stopped and looked and asked questions.
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Texas907ie

Post by Texas907ie »

Thanks Duc750 - I am guessing from your post that there is no adjustment in our hydraulic clutches then and, if anything, I should just bleed the system to ensure there is no air being compressed in it?

Rogero - great to hear about your ride on holiday! I can only imagine what it was like in your part of the world yesterday... It seems though that people react to our 907s the same way regardless of where we are on the planet!
pencilbeam
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

[quote="Texas907ie"]Thanks Duc750 - I am guessing from your post that there is no adjustment in our hydraulic clutches then and, if anything, I should just bleed the system to ensure there is no air being compressed in it?

The only adjustment I know of is the screw at the base of the hand lever. I've never needed to adjust it but you could see if moving it in or out makes the contact point feel more comfortable.
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

Apart from a specific span adjust on the lever I have never found a way to adjust the span to the bite point on any hydraulic clutches There probbably is a way to do it but whether it would be the "accepted safe method of doing this" is another question. There's always a way to do these sort of things but for me my engineering knowledge (and confidence in my own knowledge) sometimes stops short :D

- Basically I won't F**% it up if I'm not sure I can fix it ! :cool: