electrics

discussions specific to the 907IE
marringt

electrics

Post by marringt »

Bad things come in threes, right? First, the starter clutch went on me. fortunately, i was within 10miles of BCM in new hampshire and on my way there. replaced. After the ride home of about 7 hours (wonderful new england touring on back roads), i started the bike about a week later to find a large and growing pool of gas under the bike (yikes, gas on hot pipes!!!). Fuel injection line spewing. replaced offending line, put on all the fairings, checked everything i'd disconnected. all good. rode about a mile today, carefully watching gas gauge, as i was very low, when it went to zero. now, gas gauge, neutral indicator light, temp gauge, horn, and turn signals are all off. headlamp, brake light/taillight all still functional. is all of this on a single fuse (and where is this particular one located)? is this the most likely culprit? Are the fuses easy to get?

thanks in advance for indulging and bearing with a newbie.

-mark
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

Check the fuses under the seat right in front of the tool bag tray. There's three automotive style fuses plus a spare.
marringt

Post by marringt »

yep, had a blown fuse. replaced. everything turned on. then i went through the motions of checking each turn signal. blew the fuse again. so, i guess i'm looking for something mis-wired in one of the turn signals?
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

Try removing the front fairing by removing all the black allen head bolts and take a look at the 2 turn signal wires on each side of the headlight. They are connected by male/female plugs that should be clean, rust free and each covered by a rubber sleeve so they don't touch. Moisture is usually the problem, so if that doesn't work take the bulbs out and see if water got in there.

One tip for the bike I recommend is be careful when you wash it. I somehow got water into my computer a long time ago during a wash and fried it! Keep the hose low and away from electrical stuff.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

U have SHORTCUT in turn signal circuit !!! Check, what direction burns Your fuse and then its in front or rear... It can be, that, when change bulb, then contact surface of bulb holder goes to connection with earth and then it blows fuse, like happen one time to me in my 907IE. Also can be other way shortcut... Anyway, fuse dont blow, if wires are ok, so You have very simple job to look carefully those wires.... at end You find shortcut! :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
marringt

Post by marringt »

Thanks guys, that one was really simple. found that the rubber boots that should have been over the turn signal connectors were not in place. this had the wires touching. an obvious short. problem fixed. next time, i'll be sure to give you guys more of a challenge :thumbup:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

.....I hope and pray, that You have "enough good" 907IE, that we dont need to fix all faults in Your bike! :evil:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Mark,

Keep that Paso running sweet. It's not often we see 2 out for a ride and I hope to see you out this year for another run in the Catskills...
marringt

Post by marringt »

John,

Will do. It's been a busy year, but I'm definitely planning on the catskills group ride next month. And you'll be able to hear her this time... :D