Shorting out? Help!!!!

Post by Dino »

deleted due to no help, thanks
Rogero
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

I think you're being a bit hasty.

Sometimes it takes a few days for everyone to see the messages, it's an owners site not a business. Or have I got the wrong end of the dip stick?

:roll:
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Posted and deleted in under 48 hours? :roll:
-Craig
Dino

RE -post of short out

Post by Dino »

I posted "like the bikes carbs ran out of gas" trying to explain the problem...I recieved a reply of "but your bike is fuel injected" by PM (yea, I know) Well, combine that with I have had a crap week, My bike does not run...... I guess I'm a little touchy....My apologies :oops:

As the bike sits ideling or while riding it the fuel gauge drops to complete empty with no low fuel lite showing...( the tank is FULL)
Now...the bike acts like it is running out of gas and then does.
I turn off everything and turn the key back on..sometimes it starts other times the fuel guage just shorts and drops to empty. When it does start the fuel guage stays at full and I can put my hand in the tank to manually operate the fuel level and it works fine and the low level fuel gauge lite comes on correctly etc. I have already replaced both left side fairing modules and replaced the fuel pump (with a used one) The previously pump was bad. I have checked the toggle switch on the right side handle bar and its fine..I lifted the tank and checked all the connecters and they are good...Could it be the computer? What would cause the fuel guage and the fuel pump to stop working simultainiously?

Hope I explained it better this time...and I appreciate any reply

Thanks all :thumbup:
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Is the battery known to be good? My 907 started doing weird things when the original battery was on it's way out. Does the starter seem to struggle at all turning the engine over? That was my first clue the battery wasn't all it used to be. I've also had a gas gauge drop to E when the battery was acting up, but that wasn't on my 907...

How old is the fuel filter? I've heard there can be problems with old filters becoming restrictive and draining the battery.

That's about all I can think of off hand... just guesses really... and I suppose it's obvious I'm thinking there's something going on with getting enough juice from the battery!
-Craig
Dino

Post by Dino »

Thanks Dog,
I never thought of the fuel filter...The battery was replaced when I bought the bike in Dec 05...and yes it still does not turn over "fast" but I wouldnt say its struggling either...I will put the charger on it and see how much it takes...I have not checked it lately.

Will change the fuel filter today..moving it outside of the tank.

Thanks again, its a start,

Dino
Dino

Fuel filter good...BUT

Post by Dino »

The fuel filter is good, the battery charge was low, but it did it again with a full battery. I did notice that when the fuel guage drops suddenly to empty the fuel pump stops running. Could it be that I replaced my bad fuel pump with another bad one? BCM in NH said it could be numerous things from a shorted wire to the computer being bad... :eek:

Trying to fix by guessing at $200 parts it scaring me.....

Dino
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

Sounds like a bad connection, maybe on the battery, the chassis ground, or something? Sorry, more guesses...

Especially with an older bike, you should pull every connector apart, clean it to bright metal, put some dielectric grease on it, and reconnect. The battery connectors, the harness connectors, everything! Don't forget to clean the fuse blades, too.

Where are you in the Fingerlakes? I'm in Homer, and Fasterdammit is up in Syracuse.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
Dino

Post by Dino »

Hi Michael,
Thanks, I'll try cleaning everything and see what that does....I am in Seneca Falls...Chatted with Faster back in Dec. when I bought the bike and just recently about places to service it around here :roll: he, he..
Oh well , I moved to podunk. I'll have to find Homer on the Map....Maybe the three of us can get together sometime this summer.
Thanks again,
Dino
delagem

Post by delagem »

Yeah, Ducati Paso's are kinda "DIY" in our area... I don't know about out towards Rochester, though. You're on the right track with BCM though, they're great! Tom Fourner at Dunbar Euro Sport in Brockton, MA is extremely knowledgeable, too, but doesn't do much with Paso's.

Did you put a new pump in, or a used one? And is the fuel filter new? I'd definitely put a new filter in, regardless. Don't wanna make your pump labor too hard, and they're cheap (relatively!)

Homer is South of Syracuse, near Cortland. Faster and I will be doing some rides this month, and there's gotta be some great roads out your way!
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

delagem

Post by delagem »

Oh, another hare-brained suggestion: try unplugging the fuel gauge or sender and see if that changes anything? Might be as simple as a defective sender or a short in the harness. Not sure how to do that on your bike, though... My bike is a Frankenstein mix of 750 and 907 Paso.

Dino

Post by Dino »

Yea, used fuel pump....Going cheap.. :roll: The fuel filter is now new...
Tried unplugging the sending unit and it still does not work, I have yet to clean everything (raining here today) Hopefully I'll get to it this week.....
There are some AWESOME roads here right along the lakes.. some are passing waterfalls etc. We'll have to get together with Faster...Both of you guys are not really that far from me at all.
Dino
delagem

Post by delagem »

Ooh, used pump. Dunno how to test it, but when I get home in a few days I can look and see if there's a test procedure on my 748 service manual. Probably needs a certain pressure and volume of flow. Or you could see if there's a service manual in the downloads section here.

Because if your pump is locking up, or even turning very slowly, it could cause your symptoms, and the overload on the motor would explain the dropping fuel gauge.

I wonder how different the fuel pump is from your bike to a 748 or 996, because if they're the same I can loan you one. Ducati is slow to change things on their bike, but probably not that slow!

I'm in Louisiana now, in the middle of a big oil spill, but I've got a plane flight tomorrow!

cagiva905

Post by cagiva905 »

Sometimes these fuel pumps get clogged inside by fuel debris. On my Elefant (I'm sorry, no Paso for me currently) I had the same problem once. I got a tip to flush it with paint thinner (the real one, not terpentine) and let it soak for a few days. This worked for me.

When you have a new used pump, good chance it has been lying around for a while, causing the fuel residue to evaporate and leaving a sticky goo inside. Try cleaning the second pump as well.

Fuel pressure after the regolator is 3 bar.

Also check all fuel lines for nicks etc.

Electrics are already mentioned. When the voltage drops below approx. 9 V the cumputer just shuts off, and although the starter motor will turn there is just no injection and ignition.

Slow turning of the starter motor often is a matter of worn out brushes. Not too expensive and easy to replace.

Michiel
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I wonder as I never opened a fuel pump if there are any plastic parts inside. If so, letting it soak for days in thinner maybe isn`t the best idea.
I`d be interested in pics of an open pump if someone has some.

G.