Shorting out? Help!!!!

discussions specific to the 907IE
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

The fuel pump itself does not contain plastic parts that are affected by thinner, as far as I know. However, my bike has an out of tank mounted pump, not the in tank pump of the 907. I can imagine that the mounting frame and related parts of the in tank pump need to be disassembled first.

I've cleaned several of these out of tank pumps this way. This pump location makes the pump run hotter (no surrounding cool fuel), therefore probably also more prone to internal clogging etc.

Michiel
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

sorry for another stupid question, but don`t you use a filter before your fuel pump ?
cagiva905

Post by cagiva905 »

There is no such thing as a stupid question :D

There is a fine filter before the fuel pump. The clogging that happens is not from solid debris, but from the heavier components of the fuel itself that deposit inside the pump. This is the same stuff you can find in a dirty carburettor.

As I said, my fuel pump is outside the tank an can get pretty hot, worsening the effect of the depositioning. Apart from that has this particular Walbro pump never been known for its bullet proof design. However I can imagine this happeing on in tank pumps as well. Don't forget that we're talking about approx. 12-14 year old bikes (and components) here.

Michiel
Stingray230SX
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

if you find that it is indeed your fuel pump then a new bosch pump can be fitted in place of the old weber......fits in place with no mods

bosch # 0 580 463 999 i used google and found it at 4 different places , cheapest was 171.95 back in 2004.

good luck

doug hunt
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
du907

Post by du907 »

I had a bmw k100 that had similar problem. I would be riding down the road and it would just cut off. I could turn the switch on and off real quick and it would run again until the next time. Cutting the kill switch on and off while riding would work also. It would do it whenever, hot, cold, today, a week from now, no pattern whatsoever.
It was a $20.00 fuel relay switch. Turning the eng. or kill switch on and off would cause the relay to cut on and off, the fuel pump would recharge and it would run until the mag. coil in the relay switch would become weak and lose it's connection, lights out.
Just a thought.
blakduc1

Post by blakduc1 »

sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me also.
I have had mine cut out abruptly like it was sputtering, jerking, then run OK again. Turns out I had not tightened the battery lead connection.

Michael, what are you doing at an oil spill? Curious as I used to work in Louisiana in the oil business....
dp
delagem

Post by delagem »

blakduc1, that's a great quote! Let me guess, Hunter Thompson?

I was on a ship trapped in by an oil spill at Citgo's Cities Service refinery in Sulphur, Louisiana. I'm home now, free at last!

Oh, and seriously pissed off at my 900ss, I've got a pile of known good rectifiers here and can't make the damned thing charge! So I'm drinking. Beer doesn't make the problem go away, but it does make it easier to laugh at...
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
blakduc1

Post by blakduc1 »

Wow. Had not heard about that spill. They must have kept it quiet....
What kind of ship? I have actually been to Sulfur. What a name for a place.

Yes-- Hunter Thompson is right. I meant to include the credit--- need to fix that.

You mean voltage regulators for the 900ss?
dp
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

ya'll familiar with fouschon, la.? (not sure of the correct spelling). we use to port there. all i can really remember was charlies trailer bar,double wide!, and that it was a long ride to the airport.
Duc750
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

Is the bike charging ok when it runs?

If your charge drops suddenly (dodgy ground?) then that could happen - guages tend to be the first to go with a failing charge and the pump will be hit very hard if you lose the charging of the alternator The pump with a clean filter will pull 5 amps on its own - add in the same again for the headlight then its really not leaving a lot of time to run if your bike suddenly turns into a "total loss ciruit"
Only reason I suggest it is as my charge warning light isn't working I#ve been thinking around how I'd know that the alternator had gone if it does - Ithink the first and most noticeable place will be the fuel system - or lack of ! :eek:
Dino

Post by Dino »

Well the charging system is the usual on my 907..does not charge well. I must keep it on a trickle charge or after a week or two of not riding the battery goes south and does not have enough left to turn it over to start the bike.
The only guage that seems to be affected is the fuel guage....I have been cleaning all the contacts, making sure connections are tight etc. I did have my ear to the open fuel tank and heard some clinking noise kinda like something was stuck in the impeller of the fuel pump..but the noise went away and it is still acting up even today...I cant ride it anywhere because I dont trust it.
Dino
Dino

Post by Dino »

all relays are new from BCM..tested the charging system and I think it looks pretty good, Getting 13.6 volts with the bike running at the battery and had 12.2 after a trickle charge. Went for a quick run "6 miles" and had no problem with the short out... I'll run the bike to work tomorrow (28miles) and we'll see. :ugh:
God I hate walking home...
Dino
Dino

Post by Dino »

Well I made it.....BUT....the bike was cutting out all the way there and all the way home....The fuel guage would drop to zero the bike would sputter and then recover as soon as the fuel guage whipped back up from zero after a second or two. VERY FRUSTRATING ! :mad:
Have cleaned all the contacts the battery terminals and all connections are clean, greased and tight.....I have spent hours on this problem!!!!

Its flippin hot, I'm tired and about ready to give up on it and send it to BCM or something.
Dino
du907

Try This

Post by du907 »

Check the connector to the ECU under the seat. See if it is loose. Mine was loose once, and the bike would just cut off, and while loading it on the trailer I must have jared it enough to make contact again and it ran fine until I jared it enough to lose contact. I discovered it by accident. I then used a zip tie to make sure it doesn't come loose again.
Good luck
du907
Dino

Post by Dino »

Well all be.....it was not the computer connection but looking at that made me find it! I pulled the Right cover and was looking at the computer connection when I noticed a previous repair on the 4 wire harness leading to the fuel pump.....I started the bike and tugged on the wires and BINGO the fuel guage dropped like a rock and the fuel pump cut out..only this time on cue ! have yet to tear it apart but two wires have been repaired on the incoming side of the connecter and I will find out more after I remove the heat shrink. Well hopefully this fixes it and THANKS A MILLION for the help!!!! :thumbup: all you guys were right on the money! I just could not find it!

Dino