906 ignition switch

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
GaryJ

906 ignition switch

Post by GaryJ »

Hi All:

I started having trouble with my ignition switch, it would hold onto my key and it was a bear to get the key out I actually had to keep pliers with me to get the key out. Then it suddenly loosened up but now it doesn’t work at all. I tried to get a new switch but there doesn’t seem to be any available.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Is there a fix other than a new ignition switch?

Any idea where to get a new ignition switch?

Would another models ignition switch work?

Am I totally off base here and the problem isn’t my ignition switch?

Thanks for you comments they will be most appreciated.

Gary
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Gary,

remove the switch, then it`s bottom platic cover. Use a screw driver but be gentle not to break the plastic.
Try to work in a clean and empty environment. Note that inside there`s a very small ball and a spring so take the switch apart slowly and beware that any moment something could fly away.
When it`s apart you`ll usually see some melted plastic you can remove with a knife. Clean all contacts then and put it back together. Usually this does the job.
Check also the contacts of the wiring and clean them as bad contacts and high resistance may be the cause of the switch heating up and melting inside.

Gerhard
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Gerhard,
that's quite enough but I must suggest a special grease to be inflated inside the switch after cleaning, either a "white grease" in the electrical part and a lubrificating grease in the mechanical part.
I've posted something about this in 750 forum, same topic
good luck,Gary!
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

Thanks Gerhard & ducapaso:

Thanks also for the guidence to check out the 750 forum. I did notice in that forum that since all the power runs through the swith that the switch may well be blown.

If this is the case is the cleaning program going to work or I am going to have to run down a new switch?

If this is the case any idea where to get one?

Is there a trick to accessing and pulling the ignition switch?

Thanks again,

Gary