New 907ie owner...

discussions specific to the 907IE
Vickon
model: 900 SS
year: 1991

New 907ie owner...

Post by Vickon »

Hi everybody!!! Just got back from purchasing my red 92 907ie. :D It is beautiful and in very good shape since it was owned by an AirForce person for 10yrs. My question is: What would be the biggest (wide) tire that I can install on my 907 rear? And based on experience I would purchase Metzeler but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks to all of you who reply to this message. :thumbup: I still have my 750 red Paso, don't know if I should sell it and concentrate just on the 907.
Oh! another thing! Why is it that I felt my 750 Paso a lot heavier than my 907 when moving it around in the garage? Isn't supposed the 907 to be heavier? :confused: Thanks again!

Best Regards!
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

For tires I run the Dunlop Sportmax D208 and have been pretty happy with them. I would stick to the 170 rears...the bike was designed for them and from what I've read, going wider won't help your handling.
Vickon

907 tires

Post by Vickon »

Thanks pencilbeam for your response! :thumbup: Just wanted to know if a wider tire would work better and look better at the same time! My regards and thanks again! :thumbup:
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

907ie has bigger engine (heavier), which is also water cooled, so waterpump, radiator, expansion tank add to weight, just as the extra weight of the efi system.

Also bigger wheels, which means the centre of gravity is higher, what probably makes the bike feel heavier than its actual weight difference.

Michiel
Vickon

Weight Difference...

Post by Vickon »

Hi Michiel, I understand about the water pump,fluids,bigger wheels, radiator, bigger engine... :eek: I believe you didn't understand my question or got confused! :confused: According to logics the 907 should be heavier but what I stated on my message was that why does the 750 feels heavier than the 907? instead of the other way around which is what logics make you believe...

Thanks! :thumbup:
cagiva905

Post by cagiva905 »

:oops: :oops:

Hm, I must be getting Alzheimer, hehehehe. I'll just blame the tropical temperatures over here, and my busy schedule (no point admitting I was not reading carefully :cool: ).....

You are completely right.

Strainge however, I owned a 750 (way back in '92) and had the privilege to ride 907's several times (I was working for a big bike shop in Holland that also had the Ducat / Cagiva importer under its wings..), and cannot remember any such feeling. I always felt the 750 as a lighter bike, also in handling while moving it about. Mind you, this is already a long time ago and memory does tend to remember only the positive things :D

Michiel
Vickon

Not to worry...

Post by Vickon »

Hi Michiel, not to worry! That happens to everybody! The only logical reason that I can think of is that the 750 being lower due to the 16" rims the center of gravity and weight distribution is closer to the ground therefore making it feel heavier to move around at the garage. :ugh: Anyway, thanks for your response and good faith.

Regards,

Jose
cagiva905

Post by cagiva905 »

To my knowledge, a lower cg would make the bike feel lighter and easier to move around. So there must be another explanation for this :confused: .

Interesting to try to find out I think. One thing that comes to mind is the tires. I can imagine the 750 with its 130/60/16 front and 160/60/16 rear (original tire sizes) has a slightly flatter cross-section, taking a bit more force to rotate sideways etc.

All this talk about Paso's sure does me want to have one again, hehehe.

Michiel
blakduc1

tire width

Post by blakduc1 »

My experience is that the 180/55 rear will work fine on the 907. It looks cooler but may not actually make the bike handle any better. It could increase ground clearance a little, however you can change ride height a little with aftermarket suspension like Penske. The 190 is too wide and will most likely touch the swingarm or something.
dp