Quick fix for insecure instrument panel

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

No suprise, my Paso instrument box detached from the 3 rubber fixing dowels. I tried replacement rubber cylinders but they quickly split and detached. But I have got a solution and it is secure, non invasive to the instrument box and retains a rubber shock absorber for the instruments. Anyone wanting this info reply to this post and I will detail the practical exercise with my reply.
Vickon
model: 900 SS
year: 1991

Insecure Instrument Panel...

Post by Vickon »

Hi JWilliam, can you please detail the fix for the insecure instrument panel? I will appreciate your help and response!

My Best Regards,

Jose
desmodave
year: 0

Re: Quick fix for insecure instrument panel

Post by desmodave »

JWilliam wrote:No suprise, my Paso instrument box detached from the 3 rubber fixing dowels. I tried replacement rubber cylinders but they quickly split and detached. But I have got a solution and it is secure, non invasive to the instrument box and retains a rubber shock absorber for the instruments. Anyone wanting this info reply to this post and I will detail the practical exercise with my reply.
ive got mine replaced but the inevitable bound to happen mines one that certainly doesnt get wheelied!......desmodave tell me the secret of the kinder suprise bodywork?
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

You will need; sticky backed Velcro strips (only about 3 inches) and half ball rubber pads (used for floor standing speakers, desk top computers bases etc and are about 8mm x 16mm – H x W) and metal plate edging. This fix is only applicable if your Paso has the complete full fairing. Remove the front fairing upper cowl, the headlight, foam rubber upper surround for the instrument panel and instrument box. Remove the rubber dowels from the instrument box but don’t take out the studs that the rubber cylinders attach to, they can be retained. Clean the locating bosses that normally take the instrument mounting dowels and stick on the half ball pads, the instrument panel will rest on these. Now to the Velcro, take the clear cover of the instrument box and stick one side of the Velcro strip to the side and top of the clear cover. Next attach the Velcro to the foam rubber upper surround for the instrument panel making sure that you carefully match locations, so that when reassembled the clear cover will hook to the rubber foam surround. Make sure the metal plate that joins the left and right side of the fairing has an edging because the lower side of the clear cover will contact this. Reassemble the parts. The instrument box will rest on the half ball pads and the clear cover will be fastened to the foam rubber upper surround: with the assembly being pulled onto the half ball pads by the cables to the instrument panels. Clever.