What spark plugs are best?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Marinus

What spark plugs are best?

Post by Marinus »

What spark plugs are people useing? I took mine out and found that there were NGK's in it but they were no even the same as each other. The manual has Champion RA6YC in it.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

NGK's are good spark plugs.
Marinus

Post by Marinus »

Hi Jon

While the bike is apart I was looking at doing the wiring upgrade. When I look at the photos of your bike it almost looks like a different bike. My bike is very original and although first registerd in 1990 I would say it was made late in 88. My Rgulator is on the right hand side of the bike. I have a large ignition box where your regulator is different rear suspention, carbs, cans and different coils. not a problem just interesting how different two bikes can be.

Have you put a relay on the headlight?
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

All the spark plugs are quite similar.
The most important thing is the clearance, rather than the brand.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Well, when my Paso was still completely original it came with Nippon Denso plugs. The bike of course was back-firing occasionally and when I changed them to NGK and then to NGK Iridium plugs things became even worse.
Since then I`m using Champion RA6HC plugs and am very happy with them.
I don`t say the other plugs are bad as with a good setup of ignition and engine they may have worked fine, but Champions were never so picky.

The RA6HC replaced the RA6YC longer time ago.

Gerhard
Marinus

Post by Marinus »

Thanks. I just bought the Champions RA6HC's They are 1/4 of the price of the NGK Iridium plugs and they had them in stock. Sometimes 4 times the price is not mean it's better for every aplication.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Marinus wrote: While the bike is apart I was looking at doing the wiring upgrade. When I look at the photos of your bike it almost looks like a different bike. My bike is very original and although first registerd in 1990 I would say it was made late in 88. My Rgulator is on the right hand side of the bike. I have a large ignition box where your regulator is different rear suspention, carbs, cans and different coils. not a problem just interesting how different two bikes can be.

Have you put a relay on the headlight?
You must have the later electroninc ignition setup. Yes they are very different. The wiring is probably just as crappy tho!

No I didn't put a relay into the headlight circuit. Once the wiring was updated ALL of my electrical issues/gremlins went away and another relay just seemed to be more complicated. The starting is fine and the engine runs great. I also changed to a gel type sealed battery but that was not to help with these issues. Just to keep the battery acid vent from dripping on the swingarm.
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

When I got my '91 907 new, it came with Champion plugs. The dealer installed NGKs during an early service and the bike ran like crap. When I mentioned this to him a while later, he told me that at a Ducati training session he had recently attended they told him that they did run better with Champion plugs. I have used Champions ever since with no problem whatsoever.

Regards, B
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Champion plugs

Post by ducinthebay »

I switched to the Champion plugs and the bike ran much better than with NGK plugs. And yes, they are cheap, when you find them. I went to 4 different Autopart stores to find them. When the guy told me that they were only $1.50ea, I just took 4 and put the spare pair in the tool kit.

Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.