Clutch order

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
alextnec

Clutch order

Post by alextnec »

1990 Ducati 906, with the old style slave cylinder. I just ordered a clutch kit from ducati and it seems to come with plain plates and friction discs. I didn't get the thicker outside one with the new kit. I have read posts on a packing order and could anyone enlighten me on what to do on this bike. It seems that the new kit came with more friction discs and plain plates. Also there are tabs on the new plates do they line up or do they get installed a special way. Any help would be appreciated.

I installed a kit and already and it is difficult to find neutral when bike is warm, I also feel alot of vibration ever so often. Then it seems that the clutch plates drag often when pulling in the clutch and the bike creeps. The adjustment on the clutch lever is all the way in and I have bled the system multiple times and I am sure it isn't leaking or getting air. Any suggestions or advice would be super.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Hi Alex,
in the download section of this website you could find the answer to the your questions.
You can find there the Haynes manual of 750 and 906, and the factory manual of the 907 i.e. (same engine of 906), where the owner has written the correct order of the clutch discs.
Concerning your difficult to find the neutral, try to drag the air out of the hydraulic line.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
alextnec

Post by alextnec »

Well I am even more confused now because the 907 has a different setup. Here is what I have....

The original setup consists of:
1 Single sided friction plate smooth on one side 3.15mm
6 friction discs friction material on both sides 2.38mm
2 Smooth spring discs 1.30mm
3 thick smooth discs 1.82mm
2 thin smooth discs 1.35mm

that is a total of 14 discs that equal about 30mm

the new clutch kit from the dealer is:
1 Spring plate 1.32mm
7 Smooth Discs 1.90mm
7 Friction Discs 2.80mm

that is a total of 15 discs that equal about 36mm

Now, this replacement clutch kit is a ducati set that was for this bike. This doesn't match anything that I have seen yet. To make matters even more complicated I have 2 clutch kits for this bike that are exactely the same. They are factory Ducati kits.
The 907 clutch setup is completely different and it seems to me that the packing order is backwards from the way the bike was originally this could be due to the fact that my 906 has the slave cylinder on the clutch cover and not like the 907 elsewhere.

So does anyone know what the new packing order should be ? Cause the 906 manual, 907 manual, and the haynes have next to nothing for proper amounts of plates and orders. They all have poor information. I was also told about a so called Ducati factory clutch update for early years. But nobody knows about this.

I have bled the clutch system so it is perfect, I did it multiple times to be sure it is good. Everything looks good as far as the slave cylinder, meaning It doesn't look like it is leaking at all.

Hopefully someone will have a good answer for me. Cause the bike is impossible to ride with the clutch this difficult. It currently drags when holding the clutch in, the stack rattles badly occasionally, the bike is tough to shift alot, and never mind shifting into neutral after the bike gets hot. I know these bikes are a bear to ride in traffic but hopefully its better than this.
ved
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by ved »

hi,

first check the steel-plates. may be these are warped.

use copper-grease.
two small dots on each side (a really small anount).

i had the same problems.
- changed the order many times
- merged a new pack with a used one
- found warped disks

the solution was/is the copper-grease

greetz
ved
alextnec

Post by alextnec »

Well I think that I found a solution.
I had two brand new kits each had a new spring plate.

So here was the order I found to work best out of the 20 or so configs I tried. Now keep in mind this only happened when the bike was hot. It was essentially impossible to find neutral, shifting was extremely hard, and clutch would drag big time.

Spring plate dot in
fiber disc
thick plate
fiber disc
thick plate
fiber disc
thick plate
fiber disc
thin plate
fiber disc
thin plate
fiber disc
spring plate dot in
thick one sided fiber disc
clip

This seems to be the only config that works on the bike.