Any ideas ? Bike wont start

discussions specific to the 907IE
Timbo

Any ideas ? Bike wont start

Post by Timbo »

Ive not run my 907 for some months,due to having to replace starter sprag which I now have done.I have put everything back(left hand engine cover)and conected all wiring however bike wont start.Ive charged battery which is fairly new,Im getting petrol and spark but just a banging on one cylinder which does fire when starter is pressed. :mad:
When bike was running it used to always start on one pot and then ok.
All electrics overhauled end of last year and bike was running fine up until sprag went.Its been standing since Mar, April this year.Nothing else done apart from casing remov and sprag fitteded
Any suggestions where to look. :confused:
Cheers
Timbo
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

This sounds to me as a sticking injector, so I'd take them out and have them cleaned first.

Running on 1 cylinder at startup and the second one coming up later sounds a bit like valve clearence / compression issue when cold. What's the mileage and when are valves done last?

Just first make sure all the obvious is ok, than start looking deeper.

Michiel
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Michiel
Thanks for reply sorry for delay...
The bike has done 17800 miles and I dont know the last time the valves were checked.
I would not know how to take the injectors out ?Any suggestions
Ive been in touch with local Ducati dealers who have suggested turning fuel filter backwards and back flushing(lots of dirt came out)but still the same.
Ill keep trying and Ill let you know how I get on.
Many thanks
Tim
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

Do you live in an area that has a lot of salt moisture in the air? Don't know if this applies to a Desmo valve system, but I have had bikes that won't start because of sticky exhaust valves. It seems that after a bike wash or just keeping the bike outside in the salt air allows a tiny amount of rust to form between the valve and cylinder head causing the valve to stick. Sometimes you can tap it loose with a rubber mallet, but the best way to find out is to take the valve covers off. If the exhaust valve is stuck you need to soak it from the top with a penetrating lubricant. You might just take the opportunity to check your belts and your valve clearances.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if this doesn't happen to ducs.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Pencilbeam
Thanks for reply I do live by the coast,but the bike is garaged and lives with two others, a 851 Strada and CBR 1000 these are fine.I just cant work out why my 907 wont start.
Ive cleaned the fuel filter out and am waiting for new spark plugs(this on the direction of Ducati dealer)and hopefully this might solve it. :confused:
Ive only taken the left engine casing off to replace the sprag and problems............
Ill keep trying, I dont know how to take injectors out yet but Ill check these in time
Many thanks
Timbo :thumbup:
du907
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

907 Will not Start

Post by du907 »

Since you took off the side covers and basically everything else was working before, I would check the timing pick-up sensors that are located on the side cover. Maybe a wire broke. Did you take the sensors out when you removed the cover, or just swing the cover out of the way. Maybe when you took the sensors off one of the spacing washers fell off and now the air gap for the senors to work is out of specification. The senors are magnetic pickups that the electronic systems use for timing.
Just a thougt.
Du907