907IE Valves & Belts...

discussions specific to the 907IE
Vickon
model: 900 SS
year: 1991

907IE Valves & Belts...

Post by Vickon »

Hi everyone! I am about to start the valves and belt job on my new 907IE. Any suggestions as to where can I get the belt(s)? Part#? The bike is running excellent and very strong, no backfire, no hesitation when starting the bike but it has 15K on the odometer and I want to be safe and do this ASAP because somewhere here I read that belts and valves should be done at 12K. As usual I will appreciate any advise and help from your experiences doing this! This will be the first time I do it on a 907IE so please HELP!!! :oops: I will keep you guys updated in regards to this new venture!

My thanks and best regards to all of you who take the time to respond and give some advise about this! :thumbup:

Jose :cool:

92 907IE
87 750
Rlbol
year: 0

Post by Rlbol »

Jose Hello
The belts can be purchased form any shop that can order from lockhart philips. You dont have to get the ducati replacement belts. The Bucci aftermarket belts are good. As far the valves go there are some special tools needed to measure what size collets are needed to adjust the valves. You can always just measure and if not with in spec then you can always take the bike in to a shop that has all the collets sizes. You may also want to purchase the desmo times book. It is helpful but, has very little details regarding the 907. so you have to kind of work off the SS model and figure out what is different.
Good luck!
Vickon

Post by Vickon »

Hi Rlbol, thanks for the advise! Will certainly do! :thumbup: If by any chance you come down to Miami on a thursday night, remember that there is a Ducati crowd that meets at the US1 Fuddruckers and I believe it's 132 Ave. (were the Palmetto ends next to Kendall). I always go with either my 750 RED Paso or my 907 RED IE. Once again, thanks!

Regards,

Jose
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

I just did that on my bike a few months back. Basically for the valves (according to an old time pro) a tiny bit loose is better than tight. Tight ones can kill your motor.

Here's a link to a how to site on changing your belts:

http://www.rebelpacket.net/maint/belt_change.html

I found another site on google that had info on checking belt tension and it said that the vertical cylinder tensioner should be 6mm and the horizontal 5mm (you will understand after you read the page). This supposedly allows for the greater heat expansion of the vertical cylinder since it's tucked up out of the airflow more.
Take your time and it's not a hard job. I just rechecked everything about 5 times to feel safe.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Hi Jose,
you can also download from this website the Haynes manual:this has been made for both 750/904 engines.
You need also of the special tool to rotate the crankshaft.
If you have not any experience regarding the valves adjustment, could be very difficult the first time.
Perhaps, would be better do it with someone which has already experienced it.
The cam belts change is easier.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

If the bike is on its stand and you have a friend rotate the rear wheel with the plugs out you can get by without a crankshaft rotating tool when checking your valves. I put a small tool down the spark plug hole to find out when the cylinder is TDC. If you repeat this 4-5 times for each cylinder and you get the same measurement you can be pretty sure its correct. I've had shop guys tell me that's the way they do it, but someone always has a better or more correct way. Changing the shims isn't a big deal either, but if you're not comfortable take it to a shop, then have them throw the belts on too, because that won't take long with the bodywork off.
Vickon

Thanks!!!

Post by Vickon »

Hi Francesco, thanks for the advise! I have the tools but not the experience! I will certainly try to have an experienced person with me at the time. :thumbup: I will also try to download the info from this site. Once again, thanks! :thumbup:

Regards,

Jose
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

THIS SITE OFFERS pics and step by step:

http://www.buschandbusch.com/ducatisuite/valves.html

doug hunt
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Vickon

Thanks!!!

Post by Vickon »

Wow Doug! Excellent site! Thanks a bunch! I will certainly use this as a reference thanks to you my friend!!! I certainly appreciate it!

My Best Regards,

Jose Albelo
(Miami,FL)
Vickon

Thanks Pencilbeam!

Post by Vickon »

Hi Pencilbeam, once again thanks my friend for a helpful hint and very good advise! :thumbup:

My Regards,

Jose
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

Stingray230SX wrote:THIS SITE OFFERS pics and step by step:

http://www.buschandbusch.com/ducatisuite/valves.html

doug hunt
Wish I had this when I did my valve check!