two stupid questions

discussions specific to the 907IE
Ducman
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

two stupid questions

Post by Ducman »

After a couple of thousand miles to get used to my 907 there are a couple of things I have noticed that I don't know if they are peculiar to this model or not.
First off I find that the starter is a little lazy, like trying to fire my drag car after a couple of passes...she goes but leaves you wondering. The battery etc is all up to snuff and the starter had work done to it.
Second I find putting it in neutral at a stop light a pain. A simple "up" and my Honda was in neutral. This thing hits second. I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the tranny but perhaps there are issues.
Other than that the bike is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Dino

Post by Dino »

Yep, getting it in NEU can be a pain in the kiester....Still have trouble after almost a year...Just the nature of the beast from what I'm told.

Disconnect your clock....just drains the battery, I could not believe the difference it made in my starter cranking speed when the batery was completly charged not 11.8 volt but 12.6 volts made a HUGE difference .
Keep trolling the forum for these little fix ups that these guys have they are amazing!
Dino
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Don't worry.
The first thing is absolutely normal for the 907.
The battery have to be completely up.
You could do the fix that will find in the website, but also put a good battery tender when you don't drive your bike.
In fact, if you don't use the bike for 2 weeks you could have big problem to start it.

About the neutral issue, I don't have any problem to put the neutral.
You would have to try to drain the air out of the clutch line.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

thanks guys I feel much better now, as for the clock disconnect I would say that is smart, I would figure that the computer would have a draw too if it is like a car.
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Putting these things into neutral can be a pain if you are at a complete stop. It's easier if you're still rolling. After you get used to it, finding neutral is easy - when I rode my 907 regularly I never had to think about it.
-Craig
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

going to neutral while rolling is way easier, just a matter of technique, engine off is a snap LOL
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I have never had a problem with the clock draining my battery, even when not used for 2-3 weeks at a time. After installing a Deka AGM battery last year I haven't had to put it on a tender all summer.

Regards, B
Vickon
model: 900 SS

Post by Vickon »

Hi Ducman, If I were you I wouldn't disconnect the clock! :thumbdown: I rather make a small investment like a battery tender and certainly making sure every now and then that you check the cells for proper battery acid levels! I have never again encounter a problem with starting my bikes after I purchased the "Battery Tender". Regarding the neutral position, I have never encounter such a problem with either my 750 Paso or my 907IE. I would definitively look into it closely! Starting with the most obvious like proper fluid level, air bubbles in line etc. Good Luck and please keep us updated with results. :thumbup:
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Always start the bike with the clutch lever pulled in, takes less effort to get things turning over. Regarding the battery, invest in an Optimate battery charger / regulator. Cost about $50 will mean you NEVER have to worry again.

Neutral is a technique - nothing else - you are not alone!

All adds to the enjoyment.

Ride safe
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

Got to kinda disagree with some of the above responses. If your clock is on the way out as most are, two weeks sitting will kill the battery. Battery tender is nice, IF, you have electric available. Just took my 907 from here at the marina to storage unit, [have hurricane on the way] neither have electric available. Been two years that this battery has been in service, two months since last rode. Cranked right up. Clock disabled. :thumbup:
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

I know that this sounds sick but the only reason I wouldn't unhook the clock is my fascination with the fact it not only still works but keeps really accurate time after nearly 15 years, like its not a Rolex or anything. I'm thinking some better wire to the starter, perhaps a cleaning of the armature or new brushes would help. Not knowing how the machine performed when new makes it hard to baseline its performance now. As for a battery tender always a good idea as good battery voltage will spare a heavy load and premature starter burnout. Needless to say I'm plugged in as I don't think a couple of hundred miles on the weekend is enough to maintain a good level for a week...or not we'll see. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Ducman,

I sometimes only ride 50 miles in an entire week and I have had no problems with starting. I couldn't agree more with you on the accuracy of that clock. Keep er' hooked up! :thumbup:

Regards, B
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

KillerB wrote:Ducman,

I sometimes only ride 50 miles in an entire week and I have had no problems with starting. I couldn't agree more with you on the accuracy of that clock. Keep er' hooked up! :thumbup:

Regards, B
you gotta love that clock man, there to reimind me exactly how much time I haven't wasted mowing grass or working LOL
beemerboy
year: 0

Post by beemerboy »

Ducman wrote:I know that this sounds sick but the only reason I wouldn't unhook the clock is my fascination with the fact it not only still works but keeps really accurate time after nearly 15 years, like its not a Rolex or anything. ......
All I can do is second most if not all the other replies here. I bought a new gel battery for my 907 and have let the bike sit for as long as three weeks yet not have any problem with a lazy starter.

I have a hard time getting it into neutral as well unless I do it while rolling up to a stoplight. A buddy who used to own a 907 says his did the same thing. I was once told by a 907 guru that this shouldn't be and that it's attributable to an improperly adjusted shifter linkage. Well, I've looked at the darn thing and can't figure out how I'd go about changing the status quo.

Back to the clock. I'm like you in that I'm fascinated by the fact that the clock not only works but it's VERY accurate. Imagine that. I bought a new Corvette in 1979 and the first thing that went tits up was the clock. I complained to the dealer and he said "Aw, they all do that."

Friggin' clock never worked. :rant:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

All I can do is second most if not all the other replies here. I bought a new gel battery for my 907 and have let the bike sit for as long as three weeks yet not have any problem with a lazy starter.

I have a hard time getting it into neutral as well unless I do it while rolling up to a stoplight. A buddy who used to own a 907 says his did the same thing. I was once told by a 907 guru that this shouldn't be and that it's attributable to an improperly adjusted shifter linkage. Well, I've looked at the darn thing and can't figure out how I'd go about changing the status quo.

Back to the clock. I'm like you in that I'm fascinated by the fact that the clock not only works but it's VERY accurate. Imagine that. I bought a new Corvette in 1979 and the first thing that went tits up was the clock. I complained to the dealer and he said "Aw, they all do that."

Friggin' clock never worked. :rant:[/quote]

Didn't know a gel battery was available, but that should be a no brainer as I believe this battery fits a couple of Harley models as well. Story of the Vette is so typical, bet if this had a cigarette lighter it would work too. Thought the linkage might be the prob, but then like everyone says roll it to a stop (and hope you can see the N light up in the sun haha). You must find this ride quite different from the Beemers. Saw a cop on his today (not sure of the model) and asked if he missed the Harley he just laughed and said "These (the BMW's) are AWESOME."