question re: stalling

discussions specific to the 907IE
duc907rdr

question re: stalling

Post by duc907rdr »

Hi...my '93 907ie has started stalling at idle, and I seem to remember reading a post somewhere that the computer chip was at fault on another user's 907ie. Can anyone help me find that article/post again? Thanks!
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

What idle speed does it stall at?
duc907rdr

Post by duc907rdr »

Hi...I guess the typical scenario is that I come to a red light, fully warmed up, and it'll be fine for perhaps 5 or 10 seconds, then with very little warning, the engine will die. It'll immediately re-start, and if I keep a hand on the throttle, and blip it every few seconds, it'll be fine. I just played with what I believe is an idle screw over the weekend. Previously, the idle was about 1,100 to 1,200 RPM, I raised it up to about 1,400 or 1,500, and it seems to stay running, but "sputters" intermittently. It's not a smooth idle, and I have yet to road test it.

I have a local mechanic that I trust, and a while back I had to take it to him to see why it would not pass emissions that my state requires. As one step, he swapped out my euro chip in the ECM for another he happened to have in his parts bin. I'm wondering if this could be the reason for the new stalling issue, and seem to remember reading a post somewhere that exactly described my problem, and the fix was a chip swap.
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

duc907rdr wrote:Hi...I guess the typical scenario is that I come to a red light, fully warmed up, and it'll be fine for perhaps 5 or 10 seconds, then with very little warning, the engine will die. It'll immediately re-start, and if I keep a hand on the throttle, and blip it every few seconds, it'll be fine. I just played with what I believe is an idle screw over the weekend. Previously, the idle was about 1,100 to 1,200 RPM, I raised it up to about 1,400 or 1,500, and it seems to stay running, but "sputters" intermittently. It's not a smooth idle, and I have yet to road test it.

I have a local mechanic that I trust, and a while back I had to take it to him to see why it would not pass emissions that my state requires. As one step, he swapped out my euro chip in the ECM for another he happened to have in his parts bin. I'm wondering if this could be the reason for the new stalling issue, and seem to remember reading a post somewhere that exactly described my problem, and the fix was a chip swap.
If you have a chip to swap out and test it, by all means try it, but I wouldn't buy a new one unless you knew that for sure. They're expensive and pretty hard to find. All kind of other things that need to be checked, and without knowing what's been done to the bike ---make sure your tank is clean and with fresh super unleaded, new fuel filter, clean injectors, good spark plugs, valve check, etc. It should idle fine at 1,000 rpm. basicallly give the bike a full service before you go replace your chip.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

can you have your euro chip back?
it's not impossible that your engine needs a richer mixture.
where your bike come from?
An european engine requires a different setup to run with us chip; moreover an US bike might be tuned up with something more than a chip...
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(