Old dash/New Dash (secondhand)...fuel gauge question

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
wazzawiseman
year: 0

Old dash/New Dash (secondhand)...fuel gauge question

Post by wazzawiseman »

Hi all, how are things ....i got a newer second hand dash for my 906, looks like brand new compared to my old one.....my question is if anyone can answer it is....the old fuel gauge read the fuel all the time with no problems, no when i accelarate then slow down with the new one the fuel gauge goes to empty and the fuel light comes on until the fuel gauage reads normal when back to normal riding, the old one alsways gave an acurate reading at all time when accelating and stoping....fuel sender in the tank hasnt changed at all........??????
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I know next to nothing about electrics, wazza, but maybe you can put something like a resistor into the system to 'tranquillize' the gauge. Finnpaso will probably be able to advise you more.
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hi Wassawiseman,

My fuel gauge has always operated like that. As the float in the tank moves up and down (especially when there is not much fuel in it) the needle on the fuel gauge faithfully records the motion. Don’t think of the gauge as operating incorrectly, think of it as being extremely accurate, as it shows all the fuel movement.

Fraser.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

How you doin' Fraser?

The thing is, his previous gauge used to read ok with the same float and sending unit, which suggests to me that his new one might do so also with less current. Maybe yours too.

But, as I indicated, when it comes to electrics, I really don't know what I'm talking about.
wazzawiseman

Post by wazzawiseman »

Skins wrote::cool:

The thing is, his previous gauge used to read ok with the same float and sending unit, which suggests to me that his new one might do so also with less current. Maybe yours too.

But, as I indicated, when it comes to electrics, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

correct, old one worked fine, hopefully someone will know, cheers
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins wrote:But, as I indicated, when it comes to electrics, I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Talk about understatement!! :neener:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Thank you, Jon.

What do you think about my resistor idea?
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I tried one time to stabilize my 750 fuel meter with quite big electrolyte capacitor (beetween meter + and - poles), but it didnt help at all. 907 have much stable fuel meter and seems to me, that all modells have same sender unit (i havent check that from my microfitche) and 907IE have some way different meter (much more stable)... I dont know about 906. Skins have made some job to adjust meter to be more accurate. I havent done that, but propably that can be done by adjusting float arm.... Anyway, i think, that 750 Pasos fuel meter is "onekind Italian character", so not so big problem, if know, how it normally function.... :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Hi Wassawiseman,

I see that you are an active participant on Trademe. Have a look at this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 063091.htm
We are bidding on the same item. I don't need it, it was just an opportunity to aquire another spare part. Do you need it, or just fancy another as a spare?

Fraser.
wazzawiseman

Post by wazzawiseman »

Fraser wrote:Hi Wassawiseman,

I see that you are an active participant on Trademe. Have a look at this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 063091.htm
We are bidding on the same item. I don't need it, it was just an opportunity to aquire another spare part. Do you need it, or just fancy another as a spare?

Fraser.
Hi Fraser, yeap im bidding on it.. as paso parts are getting harder to find...mind you i think Phil will have a high reserve on it??....my tank leaks a bit here and there so hoping to get another tank that dosnt leak, and get it resprayed, mind you i wont go above $150 i guess......do you collect spare parts as well?
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Yep, you need to be a horder, as you never know when that useful little item will one day be required.

Fraser.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins wrote::cool:

Thank you, Jon.

What do you think about my resistor idea?
I don't know enough about elec-trickery to say. I disreagrd the gauge and go by mileage fo fill up.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I think, somewhere is older topic to this thread about fuel gauge... :confused:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
wazzawiseman

Well

Post by wazzawiseman »

I put the old fuel gauge into the newer dash and it works absoulity fine as it did before, pushed the bike up n down on the front brakes and it hardly moved, draned the fuel, and it read correctly, the old one drove me crazy....willl make the best i can out of both and keep as spare parts ( just in case)........so im not sure what the other one read the way it did, but problem is now solved....thanks for all the input folks....
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Austin Rover cars had their gauges "settled" by the use of a "ballast resisitor" a little three terminal gizmo which you should still be able to get from Lucas and or a Leyland dealer. It basically slowed down the electrical pulses so that the tank unit swishing about wasn't reflected on the gauge reading. It's smething I intend looking at (along with repacing the clock with the insides of a Fiat Panda one) sometime soon